SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

multiple browsers in one PC: what could go wrong?

I've got IE5, NN6 and Opera 5 loaded and I'd like to add Mozilla (if not the latest build, the one that AOL will be using). I use IE 5 for surfing and the rest are for testing only.

Are there any potential conflicts with the other browsers I already have loaded? is it possible to install other versions on IE just for testing sites?
    http://www.soapbox101.com

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be no problem installing both Mozilla 1.0 and Netscape 7.0 (RC1). Neither will conflict with your current browsers.

I recommend installing the latest official version of Mozilla, which is 1.0, rather than using an older version. The current Netscape 7 preview is based on an older build of Mozilla (RC2 I believe) but the official 7.0 release will incorporate the Mozilla 1.0 bug fixes. Ultimately, for rendering purposes, Mozilla and Netscape will render exactly the same, however there are some plugins and extensions provided for Netscape that aren't always available for Mozilla (without a little hacking).

As for IE, there are ways to have more than one version at the same time, but I don't know them. Because their install process is so exclusive and likes to overwrite the older version, I typically recommend just installing a different version on a seperate machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Mozilla 1.0 and Netscape will not work together on the same computer. It's kind of like having two versions of IE, just doesn't work. I would uninstall Netscape in a snap and run Mozilla, which boasts everything Netscape does without the commercialized junk.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience you cannot have Netscape 6.X+ and any Mozilla builds installed at the same time. They cause all sorts of conflicts to the point that neither browser is usable. However you can have one of them (i'd recommend Mozilla), IE, Opera and other browsers installed with no problems.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Netscape with IE ... no prob except I hardly use NS anymore

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have netscape 6.2 and mozilla 1 RC 3 installed on my machine here...with no conflict whatsoever
    am i just lucky or what ?
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com