SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out-of-focus monitor

A friend of mine has a monitor that has gone out of focus... just slightly. Still useable but definately a little blury.

Nothing in the control panel or any of the buttons on the monitor seem to help.. different resolutions are all fuzzy.

My question is....Is the monitor done? Or is there some setting I haven't thought of that might help the focus?

This is an old 14" monitor so throwing it in the trash would not be the biggest tragedy but if the monitor might still work, no point in getting rid of it. Any thoughts?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Out-of-focus monitor

Originally posted by samsm

Nothing in the control panel or any of the buttons on the monitor seem to help.. different resolutions are all fuzzy.
    Well, i guess the thing is done then...prolly something with the cathode...nothing much you can do about it...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, there might be some extended controls on the monitor itself that you could play with to see if that makes it any better. otherwise yeh, it's a case for the trashman i'm afraid...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well technically, in the U.S, you can't throw a monitor in the trash. They are considered Hazardous Waste.

One or more of the guns are out of alignment which is causing the blurriness. With the low cost of monitors nowadays, you would be better off buying a new one and donating the old one to a shelter or college.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I suspected.. thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.

Interesting to hear that monitors shouldn't go out with regular trash... I'll have to look into where to bring it in my area.

This monitor is still useable but I'm not sure if anyone really should use it... it's blurry enough that it might be bad for the eyes and I think even a charitable organization should do better.

However, please correct me if this is the type of thing some places could use... I accept a certain possibity that for particular uses the blur wouldn't matter much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haven't ever tried on a pc monitor but i have on older mac (old style monitor, old style plugs) that goes blurry every now and again. since i don't really use it for much, i don't want to buy a monitor for it. inside the lid is a knob that i can turn and sharpen the thing up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inside the lid... do you mean that you unscrew the monitor and take it apart or is this knob user-accessible?

(Note: Modern video devices often store a lot of electricity... for example, a television has the potential to electrocute you a year after it has been unplugged.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take the cover off and i don't touch anything but this plastic nob. it has a slot for a screwdriver.

a year later huh? kinda spooky...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check that out!