SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make Tickets for Local High School Bands

What I would like to do is distribute tickets that on our website. What we do is have teen concerts and we pay the kids about $25-35 plus a $1 for every ticket turned in (it is just local high school bands). What I want to do is make a webpage for each band so mysite.com/band1 and mysite.com/band2 so on and so forth. Then have the flyer we design for the concert as a whole on each page (so the same file so when we change it every other week I just post a new file with the same name). Then I need to have a way for people to print a ticket but we have to be able to tell the difference between Band 1 and Band 2. Since we have about 30 bands and we also change the tickets every other week I don't want to have to post 30 new files. Is there a way to place the same file on every page for the ticket and then get the name of the band added on the ticket when it is printed? Maybe using CSS or javascript. Making sure it is rather compatible with IE 6 and 7. If you have other ideas I am open to suggestions on better more efficient ways to do this. The bands don't even nessecarily need their own page I just want people to be able to print tickets based on the band the want to see, so that way that band gets the money. Also I want there to be a way for the bands to send out an email to their fans email list with so form of digital ticket. Any ideas?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put the band name in the URL it shouldn't be hard to get it using $_GET, and then you can position it anywhere you like on the page.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I would say the main problem you are going to have is preventing people printing out more than one ticket. You may need to record the purchasers name and check it against the ticket when the enter the concert. You may say that its only a junior high school concert but people will still try to abuse the situation

What I would do is have a database table with all the concert details in ( easy to modify for every concert ) and another table with the purchasers name and the ticket number. As anonymousdude says when a ticket is brought the band name in the URL will sellect the correct results from the database. The last ticket number sold is selected, the ticket is generated using either GD or ImageMagick ( using the info from the database ), the purchasers name is recorded into the database and the ticket number increased by one and an email sent if required.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubble,
    I should have been clear the ticket can be printed as many times as someone wants. They pay at the door. The cost is $5 or $4 with a ticket and we reward the bands by bringing people to the concert for $1 for everyone of there tickets that are turned in. Anyone who pays $5 a $1 is then divided up among all the bands. They can print 500 if they want (they are justing using there paper and ink) they still pay at the door and we want people to come so if someone prints 5 tickets for them and all their fans thats fine because we will still make $3 a person minus expenses. Thanks for the advice and again sorry I wasn't clearer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would do is name the bands directories with a prefix such as band_ or concert_

Then do a directory read and only list the directories with your prefix.

Now you can turn those listings into links and place them in upcoming concerts.

(I'm getting to the tickets) Now all of your concerts are automatically listed for you.
    When you click the link it takes you to something like. http://www.mysite.com/concert_Christmas/

At this point you can use $_SERVER globals (I forget the particular var, possibly SELF) and explode by / and then str_replace concert_ so all you are left with is the bands name.

From here you can print tickets using $band.

The big value comes in where all you have to do is rename a directory and change index.php to update the new band and automatically $band becomes the new name that gets printed in the tickets.

If the page is only used to print tickets it's even easier.

Thats how I would do it.
    What I lack in acuracy I make up for in misteaks