User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

email addresses in html like text

Hi
    I want to know how secure it is to add an email address in html like text and not a link?
    A while ago I asked someone why they added their email addresses as text on the website. He answered that it is secure as people can read it, but spam bots would first have to find out what the page's language is before it can hijack the address. I then said that the bots search for sometext @ somedomain . com, just without the spaces and that would match (as they use no spaces or anything, not even character codes) the criteria. He then said that they only look for addresses as mailto links and inside images.

Another thing he said that puzzles me is that if you use div-tags (for positioning), your functions can be back traced to your files and hackers can then access your database, where if you use tables (for positioning), it can't be done. Is this possible as it seems to me a little bit far-fetched? If it is true, then why are we encouraged to use div-tags for layout and not tables which then will be more secure?

Can anyone please help with this. Thanks in advanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has clearly no clue whatsoever.

I've tried the email as text myself with an email address that I've not distributed to anyone else and only used on one single page and there only ever as text and in the form of email @ mydomain.com and spam bots got hold of it, though I don't get as much spam to it as to other emails I use.

There are a few tricks that can help (not sure how effective they really are, not tested those myself), you could make your email/contact details only accessible through a form (use the post method to check for form submission). or simply just provide a form for contact.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    This guy has clearly no clue whatsoever.
    What industry is this person in - they certainly have a good imagination but just about no knowledge of computers whatsoever. My best guess would be that they write children's stories.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use a contact form or maybe an image (with a background to stop OCR programs).
    This guy say that he is quite a computer wizz, but I have learned to never belief everything he says. Most are proven wrong without a lot of trouble (these are two things which I struggle a little bit in proving wrong).

Thank you for clearing this up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling this guy is pulling your leg.

using an image isn't such a good idea, it's very inaccessible, meaning not every person can read it, and when you make it accessible, the spam bots can read it again. Besides, it's bloody difficult to then actually get in touch with you.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He certainly told you some tall stories or was from another planet.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you include the email address in the web page in any format whatsoever the spammers can obtain iit sooner or later. The only way to stop them from getting iit is to not include it iin the page at all.

The best way to do that is to use a contact form where the email address is added after the form is submitted.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, I usually use a form that validates the information before sending the message. Thanks for the comments and clearing this up.