User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Hosting for Developers?

I've tried many different hosts out there, and I've been browsing for a new host for some time, and I can't find a great host for Web Developers.

By that I mean something that grants plenty of access (SSH, cPanel, phpMyAdmin), allows you to install your own scripts on it (SVN, etc), has decent bandwidth and storage capacities, but isn't too expensive.

Also something that isn't bogged down with all that "free junk" that you get on most hosting packages, automated scripts to install software and such.

Anyone know of a good host with these criteria, or just a good host for web developers in general?

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For starters, you'll probably have to look at dedicated hosting, rather than shared hosting.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe reselker account would be the best option for you and for your customers.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think VPS Hosting would be a good solutions at the most.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with esds, a VPS will give you the right amount of control over your hosting environment while keeping costs moderate.

Also something that isn't bogged down with all that "free junk" that you get on most hosting packages, automated scripts to install software and such.
    Typically, that doesn't cost you anything, and won't bog down the server. You can simply choose not to use those features.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So you want a great service, lots of functionality / resources and a cheap price?

Not going to happen (or maybe I am just skeptic), there's a general rule of thumb that when you pick a web host (or anything else in life) you can't expect a "perfect" deal. Essentially pick the two things you want most from that list and that's what you can expect. When you want something that comes with all the decent trimmings and a premium level of support... you need to pay for it (which backs up the discussion of VPS or Dedicated in preference to shared hosting)

Great service + lots of functionality and resources = expensive
    Great service + cheap price = less functionality and resources
    Lots of functionality and resources + cheap price = less than stellar service.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't say a cheap price, just good value for the money.

Does anyone have any specific hosting company recommendations as well?

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with Alex, there's no 'free lunch' in hosting. A 4th parameter he could add to the service / resources / price equation is 'sustainability'.

If you see a host that claims to offer all 3, then they're either gambling by overselling, cutting corners on hardware, or running at minimum or no profitability, all of which ultimately lead to a lack of long term business sustainability.

Regarding VPS, a lot of VPS hosts are unmanaged i.e you are the sysadmin responsible for maintenance and configuration - they'll only provide support on account and network connectivity. If this is all you need and then worth looking at Linode as a VPS vendor, I've found them to be extremely reliable and professional, and have some good bespoke features plus a range of data centres available.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any specific hosting company recommendations as well?
    I've been using a Liquidweb managed VPS for a while now. Works like a swiss clock.

If you decide to go with them, check out the latest offers/coupons they have at webhostingtalk.com in the advertising area.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller account is what I recommend. easy management and easy control

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I've been using a Liquidweb managed VPS for a while now. Works like a swiss clock.

If you decide to go with them, check out the latest offers/coupons they have at webhostingtalk in the advertising area.
    Another vote for Liquidweb. I also like Mediatemple and RackspaceCloud. However RSC doesnt offer SSH.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think having reseller account with hand on support will be the best option for you to go

SitePoint Member tntwebhostings's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could try pronethosting.net, netfirms, justhost, just to give a few examples, they have excellent service and very good prices (run around 5 dollars per month), look for web hosting reviews if you need more info mate

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I would recommend you to choose a fully managed VPS as most of the applications required are already installed and you will get support round the clock which is very essential. However, the most important benefit for you will be the root access provided with it which will allow you to install the applications you need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not thinking for a reseller service, then using VPS from LW definitely worth to give a shot. They have Level 3 support included with each product, so it would be better if you are not well aware about the server management. And their network is fantastic as well
    Mellowhost - Affordable Cpanel and WHM Reseller Hosting
    R1Soft, RVSitebuilder, RVSkin, Softaculous, Fantastico
    Learn Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using SliceHost for VPN hosting, and am really happy with their service. They offer good value for the price (IMO).

SitePoint Enthusiast catrinatalents's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for free host if you are beginner. There are many free host like freehostia, 000webhost or else try blogger.com . It is great platform to begin with for beginners.

SitePoint Enthusiast presotrader's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try a Dreamhost account. it does what you require (even allows to create different Unix users and assign domains/subdomains to them - handy when outsourcing parts of a project) and works fine when the server your account ends on is not very crowded.
    Manage PDF workflows with Hummingbird. Use a Nitro PDF coupon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Developers are concerned Reseller Hosting is the best option for them, If you have plenty of websites to host you can buy a Dedicated Servers and host all your sites there
    Dedicated Servers Fully managed Services
    100 % uptime Guarantee Reseller Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I host all my websites with Yahoo. I register as a new user each time which qualifies me for a free domain with my hosting and about $9 a month with some great features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Vogel View Post
    I host all my websites with Yahoo. I register as a new user each time which qualifies me for a free domain with my hosting and about $9 a month with some great features.
    I would like to hear more about those great features Yahoo does offer?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best option for a developer would be to go with a dedicated server or a VPS

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are serious developer, then you surely need a dedicated server because it's the only choice. Personally I prefer developing all scripts on localhost and moving them to dedicated server for further tests.
    Daniel, Helpdesk Leader
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Reseller Hosting - Provide unlimited disk space and bandwidth

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    If you are serious developer, then you surely need a dedicated server because it's the only choice.
    There's a number of reasons why for -development- a VPS can be a better choice than a dedicated server, and there are also reasons why for deployment a VPS can often be better too:

- a virtualised server can quickly be reconfigured with a new distro, or re-imaged.
    - resize and reallocate resource allocations on the fly to emulate deployment strategy /load testing e.g memory/cpu allocation.
    - quickly clone/transfer a complete VPS between datacentres (if you use a provider that supports this such as linode)
    - cost to performance ratio (how many dedicated servers use only a fraction of available resources - with a VPS I can up and downsize as required and allocate a cost effective amount of resources)
    - controllable by api for clustered/auto scaling scenarios

There are reasons why with certain applications you wouldn't use a virtualised solution (heavily disk bound applications, requirement for high utilisation of the servers total network port bandwidth, absolute isolation and guaranteed maximum performance) but for most typical scenarios the benefits of cost and flexibility outweigh the negatives.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EastCoast, I agree with some points you have written here, but all friends of mine (who build applications) use dedicated servers. They are not very expensive. If you don't need control panel and other stuff, it's possible to find deals for about $50 a month.
    Daniel, Helpdesk Leader
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Reseller Hosting - Provide unlimited disk space and bandwidth