SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried NaviCat yet?

Hi,

I am in a situation where I am stuck and I don't know what to do. Our developer left us a week ago with an unfinished code that needs the excel data uploaded on a database. That data also has to appear on the client's website.

Being a total newbie in Databases, I was searching for an easy way to get it done since the deadline is this week. I found NaviCat, tried to download it but couldn't really use it I saw the video and the demo on their website and I think it does the uploading to the database in just a few clicks.

Anyway, I don't know where I suppose to have the port # on the database or on PHPAdmin since it was asking for it.

Would appreciate if someone can help me out, advice, suggestions, anything. Totally desparate!
    sig space open...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an old version of Navicat (came for free as a magazine cover-mount) and think it is great.

In order to access a database on a server, you might have to use HTTP tunnelling - the Navicat site shows how it is done (http://mysql.navicat.com/SSH-Tunnel-...ement/SSH.html). It could be that your server allows direct access to the database?

The default server port for MySQL is 3306.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a featue in phpMyAdmin and, presumably, heidiSQL where you can upload a csv file into the db. ALl you should need to do in excel is export the spreadsheet (if thats what it actually is), as a csv file. save it somewhere on your machine and upload it using phpMyAdmin or whatever database management software you are/can quickly be, familiarised with.

The downside may well be that the csv file has all the data you need but the online db has that data split across numerous db tables for normalisation purposes. if that is the case, you can certainly still upload the csv file, to a new db table (lets call it 'csv_table'), with the appropriate number of fields/columns as per the csv file and then make scripts to get the data from csv_table to put the data into the other tables as appropriate.

My 2c?... A chef will always walk out on the employer when the restaurant is midway through its busiest night of the year so I should expect the same degree of difficulty here - even if it turns out not to be so bad.

I would back up the current db and make a new one that is identical in structure. Thne I would upload the csv file to the new db and make the scripts to get the data from the csv_table and put it into the other tables. Having tested the new db, I would then make the client site use it instead of the old one.

I don't know of any simpler way when software won't know your db structure for the transfer from csv_table but that isn't to say there isn't some out there.

Is the db big/convoluted? I may be able to offer help if we can both be sure that the db on which I would work/build, will definitely not be live and therefore cannot do any damage to anyones live site.

bazz

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops. just realised this is the database forum and not the MySQL db forum. so I should add that I work on unix server and with MySQL 5.0

bazz