SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my CMS simply broken?

I am forced to use a CMS that I don't like. But I don't like it for good reasons. I find that my ability to use HTML is severely restricted. For instance I worked out a nice way to do something using iframes, only to find that I couldn't do it with this cms. It either doesn't allow you to use HTML, or where it does, it strips out useful things like ids, causing your HTML or css not to work. Apparently I will be able to use that functionality when a new iframes module for the CMS is released.

To me this is absolutely crazy - waiting for a new module before doing what I could do in HTML anyway is to me like re-inventing the wheel. Imagine a situation where you were asked to build a wall but told you couldn't use ordinary bricks; instead you had to wait until special new bricks were developed; but you still had to build the wall anyway. You end up using mud.

My managers are completely unable to see how absurd the situation is. Just wondered what other people think of a CMS where you can't use basic features of HTML!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it'd help to know which CMS you're talking about and what exactly you're trying to do. If your CMS is preventing all of that in a normal user input, then for good reason as this closes some security holes, letting users add iframes to content isn't good! Besides, you really shouldn't use iframes in any way. They're a thing of the past and there are many different alternative solutions depending on what exactly you're trying to achieve.

Seems like you need to move on and learn some new stuff rather then blame your managers.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to hear what CMS this is too, so I can add another on my list to avoid >_>

Besides, you really shouldn't use iframes in any way. They're a thing of the past and there are many different alternative solutions depending on what exactly you're trying to achieve.
    For some dodgy CMSs, no there really isn't a choice if you want to include some dynamic content and a custom database and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpie View Post
    For some dodgy CMSs, no there really isn't a choice if you want to include some dynamic content and a custom database and the like.
    Well, then you should avoid the dodgy CMS, because an iframe is something you really shouldn't be using.

In any way, we need more info in order to evaluate whether that's a dodgy CMS or the OP is just not up to speed with everything.
    Dan G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    Well, then you should avoid the dodgy CMS, because an iframe is something you really shouldn't be using.
    Oh believe me, I'd like to. Unfortunately when you're dealing with big national corporations who like their no-longer-supported past-end-of-life CMSs, it's kinda hard to get them to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let's face it iframes are a risk and you hardly can control it, so if those big guys wanted something that in their current setup is only possible by using an iframe, I would strongly suggest against it or to deploy a new CMS.
    Dan G

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, I realise USERS shouldn't be able to put some HTML in inputs, I'm talking here about HTML savvy developers. I also wasn't aware of any problems using Iframes. Frames, yes I would avoid like the plague.

So, it'd be good to know what the problems with iframes are, espeically as the CMS is going to release a module that allows people to use them.
    Er, isn't that what I've been saying, that I want to avoid the dodgy CMS?

Whatever the alternatives to iframes are, I suspect they wouldn't work in this CMS either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
    To clarify, I realise USERS shouldn't be able to put some HTML in inputs, I'm talking here about HTML savvy developers.
    iFrames are a security risk regardless of who inputs them. It's easy to change the content of iFrames for anybody external to your site.

I also wasn't aware of any problems using Iframes. Frames, yes I would avoid like the plague.
    iFrames and Frames are essentially the same thing really, even the name indicates as much.

Er, isn't that what I've been saying, that I want to avoid the dodgy CMS?
    Not really, you've only been saying that your CMS is dodgy because it doesn't do what you wanted it to do. But we don't really know whether your CMS is dodgy, you still haven't told us about which CMS you're actually talking, despite two of us asking for this information.

Whatever the alternatives to iframes are, I suspect they wouldn't work in this CMS either.
    You suspect but you don't know for sure. Only somebody who knows the code/workings of the CMS inside out can tell you this with certainty. Have you ever asked an expert in this CMS (its community/developers) how to achieve what you wanted to achieve using their CMS?

Edit:

It's been a while since you started this thread, I have since then answered and participated in numerous other threads, and my memory of what's been said here might not reflect the reality since I haven't read it again.
    Dan G

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    iFrames are a security risk regardless of who inputs them. It's easy to change the content of iFrames for anybody external to your site.

iFrames and Frames are essentially the same thing really, even the name indicates as much.

Not really, you've only been saying that your CMS is dodgy because it doesn't do what you wanted it to do. But we don't really know whether your CMS is dodgy, you still haven't told us about which CMS you're actually talking, despite two of us asking for this information.

You suspect but you don't know for sure. Only somebody who knows the code/workings of the CMS inside out can tell you this with certainty. Have you ever asked an expert in this CMS (its community/developers) how to achieve what you wanted to achieve using their CMS?

Edit:

It's been a while since you started this thread, I have since then answered and participated in numerous other threads, and my memory of what's been said here might not reflect the reality since I haven't read it again.
    The issue is quite simple; I think you're overcomplicating it by focussing on iframes. The issue is this: Should a CMS enable developers to do anything that they could do anyway with HTML? In my opinion it should. It's that simple really.