User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disable 'Edit with microsoft word' option in the file menu of IE

Hi,
    Is there any way to disable 'Edit with microsoft word' option in the file menu of Internet explorer using javascript. Please help me out.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not that we know of.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always disable the right click contextual menu with javascript, but you cannot control what elements are in the menu. That is a browser specific thign.
    Statvoo.com The Website Traffic Monitor
    The best way to monitor traffic to your sites for free!

Web Development London UK We make web 3.0 applications

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smftre View Post
    You could always disable the right click contextual menu with javascript
    Only in insecure browsers. Good browsers prevent that sort of anti-social behaviour.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thank u..............

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mharishm, are you trying to protect your source code or something? If so don't bother, no matter what you try to do the web is too open a platform to allow you to simply "turn off" the ability to see the sites source code. Even if you could block the context menu and edit buttons, people could simply open notepad, place your URL in the open box and it would download the source code into it... there's always some way to access the code and you shouldn't try to prevent it, all you will end up doing is punish your visitors (who will simply abandon your website and go elsewhere as a result).

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    to allow you to simply "turn off" the ability to see the sites source code.
    see the source code??

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Is there any way to disable 'Edit with microsoft word' option
    I can think of 110 charset reasons to want to disable anything that has anything to do with Word and teh innerwebz : ) Since Paul's likely correct that there's nothing we can do about it, the best you can do is have large annoying signs that warn of the terrible dangers that await those who would like to type stuff for teh innerwebz in Word. But that assumes your visitors actually read.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is only one way to prevent people being able to access the source code of a web page and that is to make the code unreadable by web browsers so that it can't be displayed in web browsers at all.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But the OP didn't ask to make the source code unreadable.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    already i have disabled view source code option(right click)..... but my client want this 'edit with microsoft word' option to disable in the Internet explorer browser's file menu. i know its simply an eye wast to the visitors to do so. even just by print screen option anyone can copy the image... i just want to know is there any way to do so..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately if you're savy enough, you can always get the 'source' as well as all images on any site.
    You can even load a webpage straight into a text editor, how are you going to stop that? How far are you planning to go?
    Personally, I think it's impossible to go the full length and totally secure all data from being ripped..

Perhaps you/your client is over paranoid? What are they scared of losing?
    Statvoo.com The Website Traffic Monitor
    The best way to monitor traffic to your sites for free!

Web Development London UK We make web 3.0 applications

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mharishm View Post
    but my client want this 'edit with microsoft word' option to disable in the Internet explorer browser's file menu
    The only way to do that is to edit the configuration in the internet options on the individual computer itself to remove that option from that copy of the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by mharishm View Post
    already i have disabled view source code option(right click).....
    That means you have disabled all browser navigation functionality for people who use that menu as the way they interact with their browser. Fortunately all browsers have the ability to disable your code and reinstate the menu. Unfortunately not everyone knows how to disable that interference and so you'll end up losing lots of legitimate visitors as a result when you force them to close their browser because you have disabled their access to their back button.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mharishm, you are mean't to be the professional (right?), why aren't you explaining to your client why it's a bad idea to try and invoke some kind of DRM on web based content (and how impossible it actually is), you should be educating your clients as the expert, not spending your time trying to patch your website to make it as inconvenient and visitor insulting as possible, otherwise your client is only going to end up blaming you for scaring off his visitors and loosing him money as a result of "annoyance scripts". Be responsible and tell him that it's a bad idea and it's not something he can ask of you.

Those kinds of scripts are proven to reduce customer numbers (up to 90&#37; - post frustration or malicious injection) and it makes you look unprofessional.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Alex ++ agreed completely.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    (up to 90&#37; - post frustration or malicious injection) and it makes you look unprofessional.
    I wouldn't have thought that the visitors lost due to implementing that script would be quite that high.

Just avoiding a few lost visitors is enough to make it worth getting rid of the script though. If the lost visitor percentage really is that high then there is almost no difference between implementing a no right click script and just deleting the web page completely in terms of overall visitors lost.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we need to think about how the client feels about this. What are his motivations to want to prevent the "edit with microsoft word". If it is to stop people taking his page content and using it elsewhere, then the client needs to be educated the realities of the situation, and the OP should brush up copyright practice and the best practices that are out there regarding their management.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmw57 View Post
    Perhaps we need to think about how the client feels about this. What are his motivations.
    That is the key issue.

This is one of those cases where in order to present something that appears to partly do what the client wants means you are driving away real legitimate visitors. Also the only effect of turning off the right click on theft of the content (if it has any effect at all) would be to increase it as all the "look how clever I am because I know how to bypass a no right click script" idiots would be copying the content just because they think it is clever to know how to bypass it. The fact that those extra thefts are being done the hard way when the smarter theives can take the content without even knowing what protection is installed in the page isn't going to make any difference to anyone.

If what the client is after is maximum protection for their page content then turning on any sort of "protection" is the wrong way to go about it as such actions can only have the opposite effect.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There is another alternative, of saying that it is not possible to gain full protection by preventing right-click and so forth, and then go on to provide further information to appease the client's worry, perhaps by investigating services such as http://www.copyscape.com/ and be ready with a list of pros and cons regarding such services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that the visitors lost due to implementing that script would be quite that high.
    You would be surprised, if you consider all the factors the percentage seems pretty justified (at least from what I've read in usability journals). Take into account the "back button" hitting from user frustration and annoyance (due to inability to use context menus breaking their concentration and user-experience), potential ignorance of the visitor (meaning they think the site has broken their browser), disabled visitors who rely on context menus (perhaps for a browser plug-in which adds stuff like "speech" to highlighted items within the context menu - I've seen it before), then add in the loss of control factors (people who can't highlight text to aid reading place)... those are just a few, all in all it's been suggested that by defalt upon encountering "browser inhibitors" tend to hit the back button and look for an alternative source of the information (so much so that it's even considered to be a potential "automated reflex" like when auto-playing music bursts out of the speakers or popup's appear). When things go wrong, visitors rarely consider what's happening, they just want to escape it as quickly as possible.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    all in all it's been suggested that by defalt upon encountering "browser inhibitors" tend to hit the back button

and of course for those where their only back button was in the contextmenu that's been blocked they can't even do that and get even more annoyed through having to close and reopen their browser to exit the broken web page.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the replays..... that doesnt mean that there is no way to do that... just have a look at www.istockphoto.com website.... the 'edit' option is disabled but if u copy the source code of that page and run it in your local machine that 'edit with microsoft word' or 'edit with VC++' or 'edit with zend' etc will be there in the file menu of internet explorer... which means that there is a way to do that.....so as a developer i just want to know how to do it..... thats it... i know that this will be annoying to teh user who uses the site... but as a developer i just want to how to do it

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All pages actually uploaded to the web have that option disabled since you can only Edit files on your own computer. There is no special code required - just upload the page to the web and bingo disabled Edit option.
    Stephen J Chapman