SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast wiseguy316's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation NEED HELP: converting Linux to Windows

I need help ASAP please. I've been running a system on Linux for a while now, which I haven't used for some time. My father wants to use the computer since I'm not, but he wants Windows back on there. How can I format the entire hard drive to FAT32 when it solely runs on Linux? Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a Dos/Windows boot disk that has gerneric CD drivers on it. It doesn't matter that you have Linux on there now, boot disks kick in before the OS attempts to load.

This site has some boot disk images. You will need some type of imaging software like WinImage to read the image and write the disk. Get either boot essentials or one of the Windows 98 disks, just make sure it has mscdex so that your CD drive will work.
    http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

After you get your disk, restart your computer and insert the disk as soon as the screen blanks. At the command, delete the linux partition and create a new partition, do your format, and install Windows from your Windows CD.

Note:
    1. You need to enable large disk support for partitions over 2GB.
    2. You need to set the partition as active and then format it so that it's FAT32.
    3. Make sure to watch the text that your boot disk shows so that you know what it assigns your CD drive as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, except the CD I have to install Windows is an old recovery CD, not OEM. I can install Windows with it, but I have to get the hard drive formatted first. So, I'll look through the site you gave and try to find something that might do the trick.

However, I tried to boot to floppy and run fdisk. fdisk wouldn't work.

Thanks again.

-Wise

P.S. Remind me to give you a cookie or something once I get this thing worked out.
    Last edited by wiseguy316; Jun 22, 2002 at 10:03.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can create a bootable disk of tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/), a small Linux boot disk, from your existing Linux system. Then, boot up tomsrtbt and I believe this command will work:

mkfs -t vfat /dev/hdb1

(where /dev/hdb1 is the Linux partition that you want to change to fat32)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy....

All hope seems lost. So, I think I'm just gonna do what I should've thought of earlier; borrow an installation CD from a friend. Voila! Genious!

Thanks for your help guys, but I've managed to prove myself the epitome of true idiocy.

"Stupidity conquers all!"