User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I solve practical problems. bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I want for PHP 6 Christmas...

When PHP 6 comes out I really only want one thing. Admittedly it's a major thing, but I believe it would help the language out a hell of a lot. That one thing - place all existing functions in a legacy namespace and then rebuild the function library with consistently named functions in an object oriented fashion.

The existing functions would still be around - they just would have to be imported and for backwards compatibility a flag would be placed in the php.ini file that would do this automatically. It could even ship with the value set to true.

But if it's set to false the scatterbrained php function library goes away replaced with one planned out from the start and itself divided into namespaces.

So this weird situation of string functions sometimes having underscores and sometimes not -- strpos, strchr, str_replace, str_split; or not even referencing strings in the name; explode and implode; goes away. Instead.

PHP Code:
    $a "The quickbrown fox jumped over the lazy dog";

$a->position('dog'); // Find the position of dog in $a
    $b $a->explode(' '); // Explode $a into an array and return it to $b.
    $a->explode(' '); // As above, but since there is no var to assign it to $a will become an array and hold the result of the explode.

$a->shuffle(); // Shuffle the order of the elements.. 
    And so on. Functions could also be rewritten to throw exceptions for exceptional circumstances, not merely return false as many do right now.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree...it is a mess, and is inconsistent, but I sure give it props for backwards compatibility.

I knew a programmer once who worked on some extensions for PHP (and has since given up after many hair pulling problems). From what he said, the underlying code for PHP was a complete mess.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then it would be more like a Javascript where a string is an object.
    Basically you want a string and function to be an object.

They are already adding things that were available in Javascript for many years, since the beginning of Js actually, like closures and passing function as an argument and late binding.

Some day php will be more like Java with some of the best features borrowed from Javascript. We are getting there.
    My project: Open source Q&A
    (similar to StackOverflow)
    powered by php+MongoDB
    Source on github, collaborators welcome!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really care about any features. I would only wish that people won't stay on PHP4 and move onto newer versions of PHP. That way, developing a php script won't be that hard.

But, if you place a lot of things in a legacy namespace, then it would be hard to make scripts that work on PHP4 and also PHP6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that I actually planning to write a class that represents a basic string and move all the php string functions to that object, so you would be able to do things like $String->strpos('needle');

also will be possible to type hint a string by requiring an argument to be a String object
    powered by php+MongoDB

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Primitives aren't objects in PHP. So your essentially requesting PHP become a true OO language. Not going to happen any time soon…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way it may happened in php is if someone writes an extension or even better if object that represents a string is added to SPL
    Then we could just extend that class to add any new methods we may want a string to have, for example some sort of charset converter built in the string object would be nice.
    powered by php+MongoDB

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we'll see. Then again, there is a project out there to effectively do server-side Javascript. If that was done correctly, I'd switch.

Even if functions aren't mapped to objects as above there are still compelling reasons to remap the function library into namespace collections, including I would imagine performance reasons. For example if I'm working in mysql I don't need the mssql or postogre functions, or any of the other db libraries. I could just import the database library I need into my namespace and use it.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP6 seems to have gone very quiet, I've not heard anything about in a while, will it ever come out (has anyone heard of any possible release date for it)?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though of another feature today, I think the session should be an object and not an array in php. Maybe an object of type ArrayObject from SPL, so it can still work with most existing php codes, but giving the user the ability to extend the session class would be great.
    powered by php+MongoDB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be able to get through an hour without having to lookup the argument order of a function at php.net

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ain't that the truth - hence the legacy namespace to shove all this crap into for backwards compat and then start again.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole point of backwards compatibility is to support legacy applications. Making legacy applications have to change to use a namespace makes the whole idea completely pointless.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F*** legacy apps, if you need to support phpX only code then put them all on a phpX server.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    The whole point of backwards compatibility is to support legacy applications. Making legacy applications have to change to use a namespace makes the whole idea completely pointless.
    And that would be why it would ship with the php.ini directive import_legacy_namespace set to true?? Duh. Legacy aps would only break if you change that setting. Besides, a lot of legacy aps are already going to break with register_globals and magic_quotes goes buh-bye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is simply no point in doing this at all. What advantages would it serve? Whilst we're at it why not convert all datatypes to objects? The great thing about PHP is that it's data types are so flexible. I don't have to piss around converting between data types like in more strict languages such as Java

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
    There is simply no point in doing this at all. What advantages would it serve? Whilst we're at it why not convert all datatypes to objects? The great thing about PHP is that it's data types are so flexible. I don't have to piss around converting between data types like in more strict languages such as Java
    But I like the strict datatypes!
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow View Post
    But I like the strict datatypes!
    Then use a different language!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One advantage of strict datatype is to catch error early by using type hinting.
    If you make a mistake and pass a string where integer is expected, you get an error right away. This usually helps with debugging. Of cause this is more important in compiled languages like Java where compiler will catch all the wrong datatypes and will refuse to compile untill you fix the errors.

In php there is no compiling stage so nothing will catch your error until something goes wrong with your script somewhere down the line.

I think making datatypes objects is not a bad idea. I think Java got that right, php did not, it will get there eventually.