Hi all,

I have an issue with a server I have been given to look after and was hoping to find some answers here.

Basically, the server has a number of databases, of which two, have full text searching enabled. These two databases are setup to reindex every night and for some reason, during this process it fails.

When it fails, it causes the database to stop responding, with the following error:

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

This error comes up when either selecting from a table within the database or when accessing any of the properties through the management studio.

I then try to reindex the catalog manually which returns with the same error message.

Finally, I try restarting the full text search windows service and it hangs at 50% whilst trying to stop.

The only way to allow the client to read from the database is to end the msftesql.exe full text search process and allow it to automatically restart.

There is also an issue with the full text search that is stopping the database from being backed up, stating that the catalog is offline.

Could anyone shed some light on the issue?

Thanks

Gav