SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Critical Update Notification

How do I remove it!

Every time I start up it appears in the "Scheduled Tasks" in the taskbar.

I open up "Scheduled Tasks", and I delete the Windows Critical Update Notification item. I also select "Stop Using Task Scheduler" and the Task Scheduler disappears from the Taskbar.

But if I ever restart, it has reappeared. You'd think it would take the hint.

I had a feeling that installing this would be a bad idea. It doesn't go away.

I don't like the idea of something running itself once every 5 minutes, without the option to turn it off.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right click on my computer > properties

click on "Automatic updates" and disable it.

this should work.

asT.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by astericks
    right click on my computer > properties

click on "Automatic updates" and disable it.

this should work.

asT.
    Only if he is using Windows XP. Since he mentioned Critical Update Notification, I don't think he is as that is something you installed on previous versions of Windows it isn't built in.

Have you tried uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs? Or installing the critical updates?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disabling the service in control panel > services (in 2000) would work, too.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it's Windows 98SE

And it doesn't show up in add/remove programs. In the help file it says that Microsoft does not recommend disabling it. Even so, if I remove it from the scheduled tasks or disable the task manager it always reinstalls itself anyway. And if I simple deleted the .exe file then it would complain when I loaded up the computer.

I find this to be particularly arrogant since my computer was working fine before I decided to 'give it a try'.

Anyway - here's what I've done.

I've gone into msconfig.exe to find which programs were being loaded at startup. There was one that looked like it called "CriticalUpdate" (I think).

So then I opened the registry editor and did a search for "CriticalUpdate". After a few minutes it came up with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". This is a particularly useful area of the registry folks! Check it out sometime. You never know what hidden apps are running when you start up.

This contained the item "CriticalUpdate" and so I deleted it. I'll let you know if it reinstalls itself now, but I doubt it.

I am extremely angry at this behaviour from Microsoft.

If I download something that installs itself, I want to be able to delete it, or uninstall it, with it reinstalling itself when I restart. In fact, even when I changed settings (like telling it not to run every 5 minutes) it would reinstall itself every time I started up with its original, 5 minutes, settings.

I find it highly undesirable to have an application run itself every 5 minutes of every day and attempt to connect to the internet. It's not just privacy that I worry about - it's that something is taking control of windows every 5 minutes whether I am burning a CD, watching a DVD, or whatever.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 22, 2002 at 10:23.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff