User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no simultaneous file downloads from the same browser

Hi,
    I have the following simple code that forces a file download, my problem is that if I call the script two or more times from the same browser the second download won't start until the first is completed or interrupted. Thus I can download only one file per time.
    Do you have any clue?

Code:
    <?php

$filename= './get/me/me_'.rand(1,100).'.zip';

header("Content-Length: " . filesize($filename));
    header('Content-Type: application/zip');
    header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=foo.zip');

readfile($filename);
    ?>

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to borrow rudys magic crystal ball...hold on...are you using native php sessions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never touched anything that came out from the standard ubuntu server installation.
    So the anwser is: maybe yes.
    What's the big deal with native sessions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The default files session handler acquires an exclusive lock on the session file, so only a single instance of a php script can access a given session at any moment in time(a good thing).

But, that means that if you have a script that must run for a long time, a user cannot access any other pages that also use that session until the first one finishes(or until you call session_write_close()).

php does have a session.auto_start option, although I'd be real surprised if php came with that turned on as a default setting. Otherwise, you would need to have manually called session_start() somewhere.

Another possibility is the web server is limiting connections to one at a time. Your browser could do it too, but they usually allow 2 or more connections per domain.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks crmalibu,
    I've some news. The second download starts about one minute later the first, whether if I close session or not before outputting the file. So concurrent downloads are actually possible but with a delay.
    I really don't understand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you absolutely verified no session is active for that request? You can check by inspecting the value of session_id() right before that code.