SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Promoting non-profit site

Several months ago I founded TruthAddict.com, a non-profit site focused on creating solutions for some of the World's most important problems. Although it has received some traffic (over 1,000 posts to date) it has not been as great as I would have liked. I have successfully founded a for-profit company before but this is my first foray into the non-profit world and it seems different.

For starters, since we're not out to generate revenue from the site it's meaningless to try to figure out anything like "ROI" from various promotional efforts. In addition, with something of this nature it's tough to assess if there is anything that a person would be looking for that might bring him or her to the site (e.g. a keyword that might be good for SE purposes).

I have promoted the site in a few ways (some press releases, sig files, etc.) but I'm looking for something that could really get some momentum behind this as I feel so strongly in the potential of this idea. If anyone could lend any suggestions that would be great. It might help to take a look at the site so here's the direct link to the forums:

http://www.truthaddict.com/forum

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your looking for more traffic then...

you can try a simple banner exchange with http://www.bcentral.com or something

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are some quick ideas. make your entry pge more attractrive and get a logo designed for free by someone here in the trading post.

also set up alink exchange thing with the non for profit community sites out there. or maybe set up an award system were you award sites that promote a similar philosophy to yours.

it is tough for the non profits and charities to promote on the web because everyone realises the benefits (cost and reach) of the net so there are sooooooo many trying to get impressions. good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free gift for your new site

Hi,

I popped over to the forums and think you are doing some good work there. To help you out a bit I have made you a logo for your bulletin Board. I hope you like it. It is in transparent Gif format so you can lay it over any background.

Enjoy the Logo and good luck with the site.

Logo for Truth Addict

Just right click on the image and select save as to save it to your own computer.

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    email me if you want some help building a more attractive VB style sheet than the default one you are using.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Romans,
    You could find quite a bit of traffic by seeking out good links for your site. An easy way to investigate this is to run reverse lookups on similar sites on Google. For example, a reverse lookup on epa.gov would find some good ideas for potential links.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ww%2Eepa%2Egov

Also, you mentioned that you weren't trying to make money off the site, but it certainly doesn't hurt to make a buck or two if you can. I'd suggest putting together a For Further Reading section with some book recommendations from an Amazon Affiliate program. This would be an added service for your visitors and a small revenue source for your site.

-Ed Kohler
    Web Marketing Guru
    Haystack In A Needle

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidentally, Haystack, I market to non-profits, so I know the mindset. It is illegal for a non-profit to try to generate profit. Revenue is one thing, profit is another. It's okay to cover costs with some left over even as long as the finances are used for the mission and purpose of the non-profit.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Incidentally, Haystack, I market to non-profits, so I know the mindset. It is illegal for a non-profit to try to generate profit. Revenue is one thing, profit is another. It's okay to cover costs with some left over even as long as the finances are used for the mission and purpose of the non-profit.

Sketch
    The following only applies to the U.S.. I have never attempted non-profit status in any other country.

That is not exactly true... It is illegal for a section 501(c)(3) non-profit, otherwise known as a charitable organization, to make a profit and it is illegal for a section 504 (church) to make a profit. However other section 501 non-profits can realize actual profits, these include Retirement Plans, Credit Unions and more. Further more if a 501(c)(3) corporation sales goods or services to raise money for the organization they can be taxed on those goods or services if they were not donated to begin with or the organization pays labor to create the goods from scratch.

There are other rules and regulations in place. Being a non-profit is a labyrinth in the IRS. If you need more information on Non-profits, how they work and what the requirements are, then I suggest you download publication 557 from the I.R.S website at www.irs.gov/.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand (somewhat) corrected, then.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try sharing links with some other non-profit organizations.

Jason
    Jason Bradley
    Post your project and receive FREE bids from professionals!
    naSnap Freelance Marketplace

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the promotion offline. Send press releases to every newspaper you can in the country. Send them to radio stations and ask if you can get a public service announcement. Call your local and regional television stations and tell their news departments on what you are trying to do. Send information about your organization to large national groups in the same genre.

All of this will be more successful than trading a few links.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys so much for the replies. I also had a couple of offers for help which is awesome. I love this community!

I will take a look at all of the ideas and hopefully I can use many of them to increase traffic. I do have a couple of specific follow-up questions regarding suggestions here:

1. W. Luke mentioned press releases. Can anyone point me in the direction of a place where I can find a tutorial on how best to do this? I've done a couple of online press releases (Pressbox, etc.) but they haven't seemed to make much of an impact.

2. I'm not 100% clear on the reverse lookup idea. No sites have linked to us yet so I'm assuming this means to find similar sites to us and try to exchange links? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using reverse lookup

After searching for friendly sites, say about environment, people, family, faith, health, self-help, etc.
    Then chose one, and in Google - go to
    Advanced search: Page-Specific Search: Find pages that link to the site:
    Then submit the selected URL to see who is Linked To that site.
    As well as submitting to this list of sites, you can also do a Link To on each of them, and so on.

There are a couple hundred links to my online self-help booklet 32 Keys
    Typing my URL into the Link To box should provide a few leads.

This Link To routine does not seem to be working 100% of the time lately.
    ========================================================

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start a weblog linking to all the **** (edit. bad things) that happens in the world - if you need any story sources I'll give you some. Then when you've had your blog up for a few weeks, posting stories daily, then try and get yourself listed on other top blogs. The best way to do that is just put a link to them on your site, click through a few times, and they will notice, and hopefully reciprocate.

To get an idea of who might constitute 'top bloggers' type the following into google - instant pundit - and then look at the list on the left hand side. andrew sullivan probably gets the most traffic. That's for the media sector of the blogging community. (btw I'm not linking to him, as I don't want him to see this suggestion :-) )

If you do end up getting a weblog as suggested, give me a shout and I'll give you some ideas on how to promote it. Free advice of course :-). If you can get the right people interested in your site, you can get good traffic. Also there are some cheap targeted places where you can advertise it. Getting in with bloggers is a great way to get a community running.
    Last edited by robert loch; Jul 8, 2002 at 11:53.
    Net Marketing - online marketing news, intelligence, and research.