SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Character problems : )

Hallo,
    I jumped with joy at the discovery of the hyphen bullet. (#8259)

...and then I see that Internet Exploder (but also Safari-for-Windows!) can't show this character.

Despite everything (server, document saved-as, meta tag, browsers!) set to utf-8.

The font on this page was deliberately set to whatever the browser/OS has as default for most things:
    font-family: serif or font-family: sans-serif

And I'm wondering if setting some specific font would fix this cross-machine, or would I only be fooling myself, if I even got some specified font to work on MY VirtualBox/Linux?

The page is here and the hyphen bullet is being used at the bottom (underneath "In het nieuwe nummer:")

IE and Saffy are giving me square boxes, while all other browsers of mine are showing cute little hyphens.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Displays correctly on all Win browsers

Resident curmudgeon bronze trophy gary.turner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poes, different fonts have more or fewer characters included. For example, my Iceweasel, on Debian, defaults to Dejavu sans, which does include the hyphen bullet \2043. Other font families may not.

Test the various font/os combos to find a stack that will guarantee inclusion. The MSFT TrueType core fonts* are pretty commonly installed on Linux and, of course, Windows. Then find the base fonts for OSⅩ, and select one for the stack.

cheers,

gary

* For Debian and Ubuntu, install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer deb package. I imagine there is an RPM package.
    Anyone can build a usable website. It takes a graphic
    designer to make it slow, confusing, and painful to use.

Simple minded html & css demos and tutorials

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    poes, different fonts have more or fewer characters included. For example, my Iceweasel, on Debian, defaults to Dejavu sans, which does include the hyphen bullet \2043. Other font families may not.
    I'm aware some fonts don't have all characters. What I'm wondering is, if on a WinMachine, where no font family is specified, what's going on when Opera and Chrome and Firefox/K-Meleon are showing a character while all IE's (6, 7, 8) and Safari (3 and 4 apparently) aren't? I thought a browser would take its fonts from the OS? Including the default (not sure what Safari-for-Win does, really, but it doesn't have Zapfino so I'm thinking it doesn't have OSX fonts). I know Firefox on Windows for instance isn't using DejaVu while possibly it's using it on Ubuntu (not sure, that's a pretty big font!).

Quote Originally Posted by dogFang
    Displays correctly on all Win browsers
    Do you have traditional, standard fonts or are you a graphic designer who maybe has some other fonts installed? I've got two WinMachines (one dedicated, one on VirtualBox) with the same browsers not showing it.

I will see if listing a specific font stack (I really did not want to do this, esp do not want to mix large fonts like verdana or DejaVu with other, smaller defaults) helps...

test: ⁃ ...Sitepoint uses "verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;" so verdana seems to carry it.

As a side issue, the "designer"/manager here really likes microscopic fonts (he does agree they look much too small on my hi-rez machine and I told him how different it is per screen) and while I can get away with this by using the large-font-stack DejaVu Sans, Bistream Vera Sans and Verdana, I'll have a problem for anyone who doens't have any of those for whatever reason— I assume those users' default sans-serif fonts will have a smaller x-height than the larger fonts.
    Actually, I run into this problem every time I use a large-font stack. : (

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard Vista Home OS

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, dogFang.

PS Gary
    * For Debian and Ubuntu, install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer deb package. I imagine there is an RPM package.
    I apt-got them a long time ago actually, as well as a few others that appeared in the list (dustino). : )