SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your opinion about sphider

Hello,

I want to know your opinion and advice for sure about Sphider as a search engine script ?? it's good to build a search engine with 10000 websites addresses ? ( I don't know, maybe it will take between 500 and 700 GB )

what I need also to know, with large database, who will play the big rol, the server or the script ??

Best regards to you all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of it before. I just looked at its description breifly and I don't think I will be using it. I would rather use mnogosearch. Mnogosearch has been around for like 10 years, has extension of php and now has option to distribute the search index between up to 256 servers.

It also has web spider, if you need this sort of thing as well as has all the features I see on sp hider

www.mnogosearch.com
    My project: Open source Q&A
    (similar to StackOverflow)
    powered by php+MongoDB
    Source on github, collaborators welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah nice, and what you mean when you said ( to distribute the search index between up to 256 servers ) can you explain more please ?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohhh also it's not for free, I'm searching about something free or not to much expensive .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mnogosearch is free and open source. They do have a non-free version for windows, but their main product is a free open source search engine based on mysql

Distributed search index means it can spread the search index between several servers. this is helpful when your index is very large, like 100 million records. If you distribute 100 million records across 10 servers then each server holds only 10 million records, so the search will be performed faster. You should just read their manual, everything is explained there.
    powered by php+MongoDB
    Source on github, collaborators welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woww it's nice if free, I will give it a try.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've only tried phpSitemapNG and Sphider to crawl my own website for the purpose of creating sitemaps and looking for broken links.

Both seemed a little slow even with the crawl depth set rather shallow.

But they did provide a rudimentary sitemap for me to tweak. And I use robots.txt to remove redundant content from the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your opinion, and how you use robots.txt ? I don't know about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I tested mnogosearch and it is so complicated to install, there is no video tutorial that show how install it ?

regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, mnogosearch is complicated to install and to properly configure.
    Also installing the mnogosearch-php extension is not exactly easy. It's not for a beginner. But when you configure it correctly, it's a great search engine with many advanced features, much more advanced that any other database based search engine. And by the way, it's not limited to mysql, it supports Oracle, Postresql and other databases.