SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Developing a sync API or not?

I've built a desktop application which sends the data to my server. There are no real reports or anything, I'm just collecting data at this point. It's PHP/MyAdmin.

I've been recently having discussions with another company which provides a .NET based application. Their application allows the user to process and create reports of data.

So My application captures the data, theirs processed it an can create reports of it. Two different apps, on different servers.

So we've been discussing methods of marrying some of the data of the two applications together.

They had suggested building an API so that the databases sync up every 1,2,5, whatever seconds online.

To me, this seems pretty intensive? Having their system ask mine every second "Anything change yet? anything change yet?"

My suggestion was to have the application simply send the data to their application directly. So for example, I currently have a single PHP page which receives the data. It processes it and adds it to the database.

Which is the more preferred method? I don't know the first thing about creating API's and their challenges?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much data are we talking about? Like you said syncing every x seconds is pretty heavy. Unless you are talking about like facebook or a busy site like that. All an API does really is give the outside world access your application. If you are talking about a high traffic site you body need pretty robust systems.
    Ryan B | My Blog | Twitter

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initially, there's not too many... So far about 17,000 records in one table and 3500 in another table in the last 3 months.

But that's also during the first 3 months of launching the application. We are certainly expecting it to grow.