SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Desperate Need Of Optimization Master For Contract Work

Long story short: One of my sites is growing like crazy... millions of pageviews a month, and I need it optimized.

I keep having to upgrade the server to accommodate the growth. I'm at the point now that I think I'm throwing hardware at software / configuration issues.

The majority of usage comes from my forum (a hacked version of www.Fluxbb.org ) that is PHP / MySQL based.

I'm on a very beefy VPS that is running CentOS with Apache.

So, my questions for the masters:

1) What information do I need to provide to someone for THEM to determine if they are a good candidate?

2) What information should I get from them to determine if they won't make things worse and are trustworthy?

Basically, I need to find an expert at everything server management / optimization related so I can stop having to throw hardware at software issues.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and/or suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alex, that helps me know where to post once I discover what I need to post.

I'm not posting here looking for people to apply, I'm looking for help and suggestions on what to ask and what to provide potential consultants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reviewum.com View Post
    Thanks Alex, that helps me know where to post once I discover what I need to post.

I'm not posting here looking for people to apply, I'm looking for help and suggestions on what to ask and what to provide potential consultants.
    My apologies.

Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Alex,

Thanks for the "hint" regarding what seemed at first blush an inappropriate post.

r.c,

What type of site? PHP? Get a knowledgeable PHP coder ... who knows cacheing! Forums are a PITA as far as cacheing is concerned but that would be most helpful for relatively static pages. With your load, you want every shortcut you can get.

Definitely someone with Apache experience (on a VPS with your control panel).

Knowledge of mod_alias (Redirect) and mod_rewrite would almost be a necessity.

Tons of experience with all of the above.

Work load (availability) and time zone (so you can communicate).

Just a few ideas off the top of my head ...

Regards,

DK
    Last edited by dklynn; Nov 27, 2009 at 01:31.
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information, thanks! I guess I've just not been sure where to start... a php expert to optimize my scripts, a MySQL expert to optimize my DC, a Linux / Apache expert to optimize my server?

It is sounding like I need a total master of LAMP that can do all of the above.

Are there any tests, qualifications, experience, etc. that I should be looking for? I mean, since I don't know enough about LAMP, I wouldn't know if someone claiming to be an expert is any better or worse than the guy before him.

One thing that worries me is this: When I've worked in corporate environments I've seen DB Admins come and go. Every single time the new person says: "Wow, the last person was an idiot and totally messed things up! It's good you hired me, I can fix all this!"

Then the next person comes in and says the exact same thing... lather, rinse, repeat.

I guess I'm just worried about going down a rat-hole with someone claiming to be an expert, but either wasting my time, or worse, leaving things worse than when they started.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions!