SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitepoint Mega Menu Safari 2.0 Problem

I have the mega menu implemented on several sites. The implementations are based off of the tutorial on the site.

I just found out that the menu will not work in Safari 2.0 on the Mac. I guess there are still users out there refusing to upgrade.

Using the latest jquery library it won't work at all. If you use the 1.2.3 version as does the hoverintent plugin website it will work except it doesn't display correctly. It seems it shows the hidden div, but doesn't render the background color.

I set up a test page here using the example from the tutorial on the site:
    http://www.lastleft.com/test/megamenu.php

Anyone else have any ideas how to approach this?

Thanks,

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look for a way to exclude Safari 2 from the menus, though that's because I wouldn't make the menus the ONLY way to navigate around the site.

You should be aware that Safari 2.0 and jQuery are not the best of pals anyway.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am aware with the problems concerning Safari 2 and jquery. That is why I am using an older version of jquery which is 'mostly' Safari compatible.

The issue doesn't seem to be jquery at all but something in the Safari 2.0 rendering that doesn't show the 'background' color of the mega menu when it is displayed.

I have gone through several test set-ups work perfectly well with Safari 2, jquery and hover intent using other CSS updates like position, size, etc.

Anyone else remember any rendering bugs with Safari 2.0 and dynamically changing the css display property?

Thanks