User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS advice required (again)

Hello peoples,

I know you get these questions a lot and I apologise for adding to the everlasting list of these.

I've recently taken on a project (which needs to be completed before xmas) and this can all easily be done as i'm fairly strong with CSS and HTML and I certainly know how to use Photoshop. However, my new client has requested that this site and it's content should all easily be edited via a CMS.
    Now, the only requirement of this CMS, is to add/updated/delete existing text and imagery from the pages. There will be no adding of any additional pages or sub categories etc. It's just simply text and image editing.

SO, I was wondering what the best route for this might be. Many people suggest wordpress/joomla/drupal. Considering the limited nature of the clients CMS requests, I thought something a little easier to implement for both myself and the client? No need for vast amounts of features and hooji ma flips that can potentially confuse the client and in the end create more work for myself (which I certainly don't want)

I thought of FrogCMS and have only just recently installed it on my server to test out, however I am in no way a pro of PHP and I don't want to over-complicate things for myself.
    Also would like to say, I haven't as yet tried my hand at Wordpress either. So in end, i'm looking for a CMS that will have a relatively small learning curve but would of course do the trick!

Another question I have is; The client has asked for an image gallery page, generally I'd use a slim version of lightbox, but if they are going to add images via a CMS, would this be the best option? Any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help and advice.
    cheers
    Sly

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is free and can do this stuff, but might be a bit overkill. However, there's something to be said for getting set up with something that makes expansion possible.

You could also try Perch, which isn't free but looks really nice, or CMS Made Simple.

Another question I have is; The client has asked for an image gallery page, generally I'd use a slim version of lightbox, but if they are going to add images via a CMS, would this be the best option? Any suggestions?
    Any CMS that can create a list or grid of thumbnails for all your images should be fine here.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Raena,

thanks for the reply. Seems the CMS forum is a little quiet these days!
    Anyway, yeh Perch was another one I was thinking about, but the cost is something I wanted to avoid.

I agree that Wordpress gives room for expansion, but I feel it un-necessary at this time for such a site and client.

So, as you can see I've come to a decision and landed on FrogCMS.

Had a couple questions about FrogCMS though, as I said before I'm no PHP pro and unfamiliar with CMS. Can I design my site as I normally would... going from the photoshop stage into coding with html and css and then work in the PHP bits of code that allow for editable areas or is that not possible?

thanks for any advice

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks that way, but honestly I'm not 100% sure how much more control it permits over the presentation of content. I've never used it.

Judging by a template I found on the Extend/Themes page, it looks like it is simply a case of sticking in some echo statements where necessary. Here's a snip of example code from that template:

Code php:
    <div id="content">
      <h2><?php echo $this->title(); ?></h2>
      <?php echo $this->content(); ?> 
      <?php if ($this->hasContent('extended')) echo $this->content('extended'); ?> 

<?php if ($this->comment_status != 'none') { 
        $this->includeSnippet('comment-each');
      }
      ?>
      <?php if ($this->comment_status == 'open') { 
        $this->includeSnippet('comment-form');
        } ?>

Seems reasonably straightforward?
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, seems simple enough. And the fact that I understand it worries me!

Anyway, will have a play with it and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll be back.

cheers

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOne View Post
    Anyway, yeh Perch was another one I was thinking about, but the cost is something I wanted to avoid.
    40 for a Perch licence is a drop in the ocean, and considering it probably ticks all the clients needs it'd probably cost you less in time than a n other CMS. That benefits you and your customer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Perch is something I have yet to use, so will have a go at it when I have the time and money.

Coming back to FrogCMS, I've been playing around with a site that I designed and uploaded it to frog's layout/themes. Everything is working, except that my content won't show unless I keep this code in (this is for the home page btw):

Code:
    <?php $page_article = $this->find('/articles/'); ?>
    <?php $last_article = $page_article->children(array('limit' => 1, 'order' => 'page.created_on DESC')); ?>

<h3> Hello tester </h3>

<?php foreach ($page_article->children(array('limit' => 4, 'offset' => 1, 'order' => 'page.created_on DESC')) as $article): ?>
    <div class="first entry">
      <h3><?php echo $last_article->link(); ?></h3>
      <?php echo $last_article->content(); ?>
      <?php if ($last_article->hasContent('extended')) echo $last_article->link('Continue Reading…'); ?>
      <p class="info">Posted by <?php echo $last_article->author(); ?> on <?php echo $last_article->date(); ?></p>
    </div>

<div class="entry">
      <h3><?php echo $article->link(); ?></h3>
      <?php echo $article->content(); ?>
      <?php if ($article->hasContent('extended')) echo $article->link('Continue Reading…'); ?>
      <p class="info">Posted by <?php echo $article->author(); ?> on <?php echo $article->date(); ?></p>
    </div>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

The thing is, I have no need for articles or any of the sort. I just wish to be able to place any content in there, but nothing seems to work. The content I add only shows up when I keep the above code in, but of course I don't want articles updating on my homepage as there is no need for this feature.

any light shed on the matter would be good

As you can see my PHP stinks, so will need a reply that appeals to a layman of PHP.

cheers