SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Is It Ok To Give Away 20 Evaluation Memberships To MY Websites?

Is It Ok To Give Away 20 Evaluation Memberships To MY Websites in the forum? and if so what section do I use? I just want feedback so I can improve my websites.

Is it ok that after I give 20 away for each membership site I have that I stop giving them away.. because if I stop and people are giving it good reviews on my thread then some people will buy my product through the links in the thread.

would this violate the rules?

Basically.. can I post this in the forum or do I have to pay for marketplace to be able to give stuff for free evaluations?

Thanks,
    Ben-

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would probably break the rules, your on one hand asking for reviews for your website (in which case why not provide a demo account?) but you are also then trying to use those reviews as an advertisement to tempt people to use your service (which is self-promotion - not allowed). I would send a PM to raena as she would probably be able to give you a more definitive answer (as she's the head cheese round these parts)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Alex,
    Thanks for your advice, I will contact her now. The last thing I want to do is break rules here.http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/imag...les2/smile.gif

By the way, I am giving demo accounts... Thats the idea.. no cost to sitepoint members until after all 20 or so evaluation memberships for each of my companies is used up.

BenHeckendorf-

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenHeckendorf View Post

By the way, I am giving demo accounts... Thats the idea.. no cost to sitepoint members until after all 20 or so evaluation memberships for each of my companies is used up.

BenHeckendorf-
    That is still self-promotion (advertising your services/products) and is generally not allowed on SP.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw fair go, we have many cheeses round these parts.

Anyway, it's still a promotional thing and it's really not OK. I understand why you want to do it, but if we let you do it then everyone will want to advertise that way and it's not groovy.

You are, however, most welcome to post a request for a review in the website reviews section and maybe just let us use a single demo account, or perhaps use screenshots of the account-only areas?

The other thing is that if your goal is also to attract 20 users from among our community, you could maybe run an ad in the marketplace, mention a sign-up code or something for those 20 accounts, and enjoy!
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Raena, thanks for the clarification.
    My membership script uses ip detection to prevent fraud, I can't give just one account to everyone or it would be automatically disabled when 5 different ip addresses accessed it.

So I will post in the review section and people will have to pm me their name and email and I will manually add them to the database.

These accounts will be 100% free and I only need 20 reviews. So first 20 people only.

Does this sound ok?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but it still seems like promotion. You should really use the Marketplace.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Raena,
    I don't want to break rules that's why I asked permission before I posted.
    I wanted to get 20 reviews of my product by giving 20 ($249 plus 29.99) memberships for FREE! I am willing to use the "Website Review Section" and am not selling anything...
    This would be a benefit to any members who got everything free, along with over $800 of software!

I'm trying to give FREE value to your members in exchange for a review of my company which just launched a few days ago.

I think YOU are being a little too strict here....

I'm simply wanting to get reviews from the reviews section.. If you POLICE this forum to the extent that you won't let people use the review section to get reviews then WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM?

NO DISRESPECT INTENDED but I feel like your not being fair.

Ben Heckendorf

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course we permit reviews (have you looked at some of them?). But it doesn't seem like your aim is seriously just to ask for reviews of the quality of your site -- the forum is not here to let you jumpstart your userbase by giving away limited freebies. It's lovely that you want to give something away, but it's still promotional. We do not do that in the reviews section.

Our users review sites out of the goodness of their hearts and the generosity of their time -- not because they're being paid. It is not fair to the other participants in that forum, who don't have $800 of software or whatever to give away. If you want to use that area, you will need to either provide an open demo or screenshots. If you want to attract 20 users, use the marketplace instead.

As for not meaning disrespect, I'd appreciate it if you weren't in the habit of yelling at me.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And in response to your earlier comments, giving people an evaluation is not a demo, evaluations have imposed restrictions and limits upon them so after the testing phase has been completed a purchase needs to be made to continue using a service (this is a self-serving promotion tool regularly used). A true demo account would be a working model which effectively shows potential customers what they would get (and allows people to review your offerings) without having to sign up, trial anything or pay for anything now or in the future if they so wish. Of course you don't want fraud but the fact is while demo's work, they prevent altering of settings or have imposed limits on the product to prevent it being used in a working environment (beyond seeing what it does on that website). Your claim that you offering a demo is wrong, demo's can be linked to and do not require anything to be "given away" with the manner you are trying to put it across.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note...
    it does not matter what you want to call it.. demo or evaluation, I was not imposing any restrictions at all.. Just a real membership at no cost now or in the future to 20 people so I could get some reviews of my product.

It's really a shame you guys won't let me use the review section to get reviews. I just wanted to give my stuff away for free to get opinions...

I thank you for your replies but because you wont let me use the forum for its intended purpose and I feel singled out, I don't think sitepoint is for me..

I wish you all the best..

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what you are missing from your site is a demo that everyone can look at to see what they get by signing up. If you has a demo then you wouldn't need to give away free accounts to get your site reviewed.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">