SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Career Question for all professional web developers and web designers...

I recently posted this question on the Dice boards and received a recommendation to post here for professional answers:

seeker.dice. com/olc/thread.jspa?threadID=19166&tstart=0

If anyone is a professional web developer or web designer, can you please comment on your thoughts on the state of your industry?

1. What are the hurdles to breaking into it?

2. Are the professionals actually being challenged by the "home" devs and designers?

3. Are many large and small companies actually turning to these $2 an hour freelancers from India and if so, how do you intend to compete?

4. Is there still room for a lot of creativity on the job or, like most things in IT, are things relatively standardized and routine?

5. What do you enjoy most / least about your profession?

6. Salary surveys on various jobsites indicate a relatively stable and decent salary - is this true from your experience?

7. How much time outside of work do you spend keeping up with the technologies?

8. Is it still fun?

Anyone with a professional background in web development and design is encouraged to comment.

Thank you.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - lots of competition
    - the ability to do the job well
    - and currently the global recession

2. Are the professionals actually being challenged by the "home" devs and designers?
    - probably not challenged as such, but it's still competition
    - there are lots of poor "home" designers, but there are some really good ones as well

3. Are many large and small companies actually turning to these $2 an hour freelancers from India and if so, how do you intend to compete?
    - in my experience the ones that do often come back to someone nearer to home, you get what you pay for
    - I like cheap outsourcing because it does me a favour, I get a lot of clients who try the cheap route but end up finding me and then get a proper job done

4. Is there still room for a lot of creativity on the job or, like most things in IT, are things relatively standardized and routine?
    - a bit of both, but that depends how much flexibility your employer gives you, I'm a freelance web person so I say what goes for me

- least enjoy has got to be awkward clients
    - most enjoy is having a customer say they're very happy with what I've done for them. that makes my day

6. Salary surveys on various jobsites indicate a relatively stable and decent salary - is this true from your experience?
    - pass

- I do what I do as a lifestyle choice so I do all this sort of stuff whenever I feel the need

8. Is it still fun?
    - yep!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_alpha View Post
    The constantly evolving field can be challenging to some people, there's always something new to learn, your skills can change on a monthly basis if you are really keeping on top of things and for some people who don't like learning or reading lots, it can be scary. The amount of competition is also a big factor, loads of studios and freelancers out there all working different niches, strategies, fields and budgets, it can be quite hard getting started working for yourself.

If you mean the average person with a copy of Dreamweaver producing a website for themselves or a friend the answer is yes and no, yes in respect to them offering cheap rates, but no in respect to them not having the experience, range of skills or background knowledge to do a professional job (it's the difference between using DIY furniture from Ikea against a carpenter carving a chair with all the flourishes). If you mean freelancers (work from home professionals) then there's no real difference, they can be as professional as a studio, in fact some of the worlds best web designers are freelancers.

Large businesses don't tend to outsource to those kind of freelancers because they understand that if you want a quality job, you pay for it, outsourcing to such individuals can be hazardous. In terms of competing, we don't bother because it's like Microsoft competing with torrent sites (free or next too). Most professionals cater to people who are willing to pay for quality workmanship, hiring a $2 an hour freelancer on one of those dodgy bidding websites may get a job done, but there's no guarantees on the quality and you won't get the customer service and long term benefits which a proper service offers (those $2 freelancers tend to push out your task as quickly as possible so they can get onto the next paying gig, your going to end up with a rush job).

You do tend to find a lot of things routine (conventions and patterns) though creativity is a must because no two websites should ever look alike, and you have the potential (if you wish) to produce something elegant or unique and agile which hasn't been attempted before. The general rule is the more unique the work and the higher quality it is, the more the business will charge (rather than using templates), creativity is a good thing if you want to be a true professional in my opinion.

Love the flexibility, the consistently changing field, learning new things.
    Hate the bugs (IE6), lack of general education and number of fraudsters.

It depends on the individual, how much work they choose to do, if they work for themselves or others, their motivation and what clients they can get.

Most of my free time goes on such things, but I am a hardcore learner and love this industry enough to want to dedicate so much time on it, for me it's more than a job, it's my hobby and passion (as it should be for most professionals in the industry).

8. Is it still fun?
    Yes! Best job there is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluedreamer and alexDawson said all that needed to be said in relation to your questions. I have couple of things to add though.

Before I say a word, I have one question for you:

do you have passion in web design and development? I mean either of these two fields?

If the answer is no, then don't bother to get in. In this industry only those with passion and dedication can make it to the top. The other thing is that there is no one individual who is truly an expert in both fields(web design and web development). Or let me rephrase it. Rarely do you come across with such an individual who is equally well versed in front-end and backend development. My point is that early on determine what your strength are and study it more keenly like there is no tomorrow. Before you know it, you will be at the top of the game with all the money and fame that entails.

When you start freelancing, always aim for quality. That will quickly establish reputation for you. But quality comes with price. In other words, never compete on price. The moment your lower your game to that level, you won't make it. Do quality work with price tag.
    ------------------