SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Anyone know of good multisite instructions for Drupal?

I'm having a tough time getting a multisite install of Drupal to work. I feel confident in the technologies being used (i.e.- PHP, MySQL, etc.) but when it comes to understanding the individual instructions and steps, I start having problems.

Some of the instructions I've found up to this point pertain to installation procedures which include steps that do not pertain to my situation at hand. A good example of this would be the use of the httpd.conf file--I have no access to this... Another example would be the use of specific versions of Drupal which I can't even find the download for.

Another problem I've encountered with some of the online documentation and help is the frequent problems with grammar, spelling, sentence structure, completeness of ideas, etc. Almost all of them fail miserably when it comes to getting a concise, step-by-step approach across to the reader that does what it sets out to do. So many comments indicate the same from what I've read on sites trying to help with this. I'm not sure if this is because the people doing this stuff speak English as a secondary language or if it's just a matter of not being able to write well, but whatever the case, I have a hard time understanding a lot of the writing.

So does anyone around here know of a good tutorial, website, etc. that fixes this?

Here is a bit about my situation if it helps:
    1.) PHP 5.2.9
    2.) MySQL 5.1.39
    3.) Drupal 6.4

Let's say my domain name is "www.example.com". I need a multisite installation for about 5 sub-domains (i.e.- www.example.com/blah1, www.example.com/blah2, etc.).

What I did was the following:
    1.) Installed Drupal.
    2.) Copy-and-pasted the settings file to its respective sub-directory within the "sites" folder.
    3.) Created another MySQL database for the new multisite as from what I understood, you needed to create individual databases for each multisite.
    4.) Set the sub-domains to forward the user to the main domain of www.example.com.
    5.) Tried to go to "www.example.com/blah1" to no avail.

I thought that you were supposed to run an install for each multisite, but when I went to "www.example.com/blah1/install", it never worked.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a pretty good tutorial you can find here http://justinhileman.info/articles/a...tisite-install
    For a multi-site install you should be able to:
    use any version of drupal
    use one database with prefixes
    and I think the rest should be explained pretty well in the tutorial
    hope this helps
    Web Hosting Reviews- BestWebHostingReview.org

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the lead, Dave. I looked at it and I do think it will help but would you possibly try to answer some (hopefully) quick questions for me?

1.) Does the author of that tutorial want us to copy the .htaccess and robots.txt files FROM what's already in the Drupal primary install or are these files something we're supposed to create from scratch?

2.) In the context of this tutorial, what exactly are "symlinks" and are these things that I can create and use within a WAMP (localhost dev environment) install? I would really love to have a prod / dev 1-for-1 setup if possible...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem Wolf,

Yes you should be able to use the original drupal .htaccess and robots.txt files, but you may want to change certain things for each site, if one site may have a file you don't want accessed, etc.

By "symlinks" he means symbolic links which is basically an empty file that points to another file, and yes they should work fine in WAMP. If you would like more info about creating symlinks there's a post here http://kb.iu.edu/data/abbe.html
    Web Hosting Reviews- BestWebHostingReview.org

Cheers