SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by webcat111
    said Einstein - but why has everyone this nail in the head the the speed cannot be faster then the light ?
    Because we haven't yet been able to observe anything or force anything to travel faster than the speed of light. Thus, until such an event is observed, it is scientifically valid to assume the speed of light the absolute fastest anything can travel.

-Colin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole

The Bible says that Christ died for all of us. If you follow that logic then by definition he would have died for other life. However, as his death occured here on Earth, how would other planets have heard about him and his death and be able to respond that offering.
    The "other life" may be superior than "us", so they don't need a saviour. Or, they may be inferior, so they don't deserve salvation.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he only created the earth and the sun and stuff
    nobody said anything about other planets :P
    In a world where the human mind
    can be programmed like a computer,
    at what point does the human soul end
    and the cybernetic machinery begin?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we haven't yet been able to observe anything or force anything to travel faster than the speed of light
    Maybe if it is possible to control gravity, we could travel faster then light. Whenever you see all those "not of this earth manouvers" that these UFOs make, thats how they do it? Aren't they researching a gravity propulltion system?
    Design R Web Solutions
    part of Othello Technology Systems Ltd AS29527
    Email Us Support Forums
    enom ETP - PM me for a free reseller account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    Here's my personal take on this...from a Christian perspective.

In regards to space being infinite, think how much MORE fantastic it would be to know that God created the entire universe for his Glory and that we ARE alone in being able to appreciate and respect his creation.
    I'm with you there, creole. Although it is possible. It makes sense to us (well, some of us anyway; others are arrogant enough to believe this really is all for just us ), but we're not omnipotent masters of space and time.

However, on a more scientific note, the previous equations that attempted to estimate the number of habitable, life-supporting planets in the galaxy (The Drake Equation) may be very far off.

This recent Slashdot story is an interesting read. Kinda fun to think about all the crazy things our sun must have seen before it got here.
    Lord Morgion
    Paranoia is just reality on a finer scale. - Strange Days
    [ MacOS X | Mozilla | 1280 x 854 (15" PowerBook G4) | Millions ]
    [ www.ambientshadow.com | www.gerbilmechs.com | www.gogeek.org ]

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very much a believer of life on other planets, but I don't know if I believe too much in UFOs. You know, not the 'flying saucer' things.
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Designr
    Maybe if it is possible to control gravity, we could travel faster then light. Whenever you see all those "not of this earth manouvers" that these UFOs make, thats how they do it? Aren't they researching a gravity propulltion system?
    That's assuming you believe in all of this "I saw a UFO!!!" stuff....

And, it isn't necessarily a gravity-drive that would need to be used to perform such manuevers. Any sort of advanced propulsion engine would conceiveably have similar capabilities once invented.

Besides, t'were these "UFO's" of which you speak travelling at the speed 'o light, you wouldn't be able to see them buddy.

-Colin

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, t'were these "UFO's" of which you speak travelling at the speed 'o light, you wouldn't be able to see them buddy
    Ah, you wouldnt be able to see them while traveling at those speeds, but we would if they where just cruising (a lot less slower then the speed of light) in our skys. I guess its like, if you had a car that could 250mph, that does not mean you will be doing 250 mph. (especially in England!!)
    Design R Web Solutions
    part of Othello Technology Systems Ltd AS29527
    Email Us Support Forums
    enom ETP - PM me for a free reseller account

<?php echo(witty title)?> Sal Petrarca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    Because we haven't yet been able to observe anything or force anything to travel faster than the speed of light. Thus, until such an event is observed, it is scientifically valid to assume the speed of light the absolute fastest anything can travel.

-Colin
    Alright, let's see if I can remember this correctly...

Not too long ago, a scientific discovery was made that the first piece of a beam of light contains enough information to be able to replicate the entire beam of light. There is also an element when, in its gaseous state, was found to accelerate a beam of light. A sensor detected the end of the beam before the light-emitter finished sending the beam. I forgot the name of the element, but let me hunt around on Google...

The strange flight manuevers...

Wasn't it a mere few years ago that a vertical-lift off for a figter jet was Impossible???
    Geeks...Rock...Your...Box
    Sites:Dark Moon Rising:::My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Intelligent Life

Why does everyone keep referring to us as intelligent lifeforms?

http://www.davesite.com/rainforests/
    http://www.geocities.com/mefrog_22/icecaps.html
    http://www.solcomhouse.com/OzoneHole.htm

to name but a few. It's lucky there are other planets out there, cos when we wreck this one, we're gonna need somewhere to go.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my signature for backup of the above statement as well .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading something about that as well Sal, but I don't recall it proving something moves faster than the speed of light (the speed of light differs in a particular medium -- for example it travels slower in water than in air), but I may be wrong as to the implications of that study.

I don't think we're going to wreck our planet. The Earth is really far more resilient than people give it credit for. Mind you, I recycle, I want lower car emissions, greater fuel economy (fuel-cell powered cars while we're at it), but I don't think we're going to "wreck" the planet before it's too late to repair what damage we've caused.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited LA once before, talk about strange, weird, unexplainable things happening

Also as a Christian, the Bible is a history book, not a science book. It does not answer those types of questions, nor did Christ try to.

<stands up on soapbox> I personally think we should try and live as brothers and sisters first on this planet before we venture off to another one. </stands up on soapbox>

the truth is out there...

<?php echo(witty title)?> Sal Petrarca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the truth is out there...

Maybe us finding intelligent life on other planets is our "challenge" in life...Or maybe everything we know is contained in a petri dish???
    Geeks...Rock...Your...Box
    Sites:Dark Moon Rising:::My Site