User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help building an instant messaging system with AJAX/PHP

Hi guys,

I am trying to add an instant messaging system to my website so that logged in member can chat one-on-one with other member on his/her contact list. I am aware that there are many of such free scripts that I can use but I would rather learn to do it myself. So, could anyone please tell me how to set it up or at least where the resources are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a pretty big undertaking, anatta! Best of luck with it.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you truly want to "learn to do it myself", then a tutorial isn't going to help you all that much. Programming is less about syntax, functions and objects, and much more about how to approach and solve a problem. If you're not confident that you can pull this off with your current skillset, and believe you need to rely on a tutorial to achieve this, then I'd suggest spending more time playing with Javascript and PHP until your confidence builds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you start any programming, you need to work out a protocol for your instant messaging system to use. I would do as much of the work as possible on the client side, with very minimal PHP code for the server, so that the load is spread between your clients rather than slowing things down on the server. I recommend using MySQL for the database back end which is free to use. The easiest way to get set up for developing this project (if you're in windows) is to download WAMP which contains the Apache web server, MySQL and PHP all already set up for you

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Anatta, as others have said this isn't a small task

You really need to have a very good idea of how the data will hang together and how you plan for the browser to communicate with the server to get the updates. If you sort out both of these these things on paper you should be able to piece something together.
    Of course, you have a lot of resources here who can help you with particular problems you come across - but it will take some work

Best of luck,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I add that I've been working on a similar project over the last few months, except for it being a javascript avatar chat world rather than an Instant Messenger. The code will most likely be very similar, so if you get stuck and need any snippets, give me a shout!