SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting a new template

I have been working through the book "Joomla! 1.5: A User's Guide" by Barrie North. I had installed Joomla on my laptop under a directory 'joomla'. I am now trying to set up a new template. It instructs you to create a new directory for your template under the directory localhost/joomla/templates/. I did that. It also says you need the directories 'css' and 'images' with the appropriate files there. I copied those two directories into my new template directory. It then gives you the code for two files 'templateDetails.xml' and 'index.php'. I put those two files together and saved them under the new template directory. So, I had the following set up:

.. /joomla/templates/NEW_TEMPLATE/

css/ (a directory)
    images/ (a directory)
    index.php
    templateDetails.xml

Then it says you can look at the home page of the new template, but I can't get it to come up. I thought maybe I had put the index.php in the wrong place and copied it to the /joomla directory, but that didn't work either. I also tried to go into the back end of joomla (with it set to use the rhuk_milkyway template) and then go into Install/Uninstall and install the new template, but that didn't work either. Today, it also seems like I managed to mess something up, because it won't even come up with the page that I was getting with "localhost/joomla"

I'm not sure what to do. Please HELP!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have two solutions: download the predefined template or install it yourself. To do this, go to Google and ask: "how to create a joomla template". And you just need to reinstall joomla .