Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run IE6, IE7, and IE8 on the Same Machine Using Windows 7 XP Mode

Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, Run IE6, IE7, and IE8 on the Same Machine Using Windows 7 XP
    Mode

..or just use IETester: my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaktad View Post
    ..or just use IETester
    IE Tester is excellent, but it's not without problems. For example, 24-bit PNG and transparency filters will fail in IE5.5/IE6 mode. It's also a little unstable and crashes quite frequently.

@Stormrider
    localhost appears to be restricted to 127.0.0.1 in the guest XP. However, you can still enter the IP address of your host, e.g. http://192.168.1.10/mypage.html, or if you're using a fixed DHCP address, you can define a domain in the XP host file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc):

test 192.168.1.10

Enter "nbtstat -R" from the command line then load http://test/ in IE6 or 7.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceeb View Post
    @Stormrider
    localhost appears to be restricted to 127.0.0.1 in the guest XP. However, you can still enter the IP address of your host, e.g. http://192.168.1.10/mypage.html, or if you're using a fixed DHCP address, you can define a domain in the XP host file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc):

test 192.168.1.10

Enter "nbtstat -R" from the command line then load http://test/ in IE6 or 7.
    Yeh, I've done that already, set up 'dev' as my new dev environment to replace localhost and added it to all the hosts files (including the W7 one so the environment is consistent across all 3 platforms). I now have IE6, IE7, IE8 and IE8 64bit on my quick launch menu alongside all the other browsers i check in. It was definitely a selling point for Windows 7 for me - well, that and the ability to act as a Remote Desktop server so I can remote desktop in from elsewhere - this isn't available in Home Premium I think.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE Tester is excellent, but it's not without problems.
    I use IETester as my main IE testing tool but I don't think it's ideal either. It takes ages to load, has problems with javascript and crashes a bit.

I'm keen to upgrade to W7 and start using XP mode but I want to do a clean install and just need to find time to do it (and then reinstall everything).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty cool. I've long since jumped ship to a sexy Kubuntu install, and use VirtualBox with desktop integration so I get damn near the same experience (Windows XP apps in their own windows like any native app). It is nice that Microsoft is throwing us a bone by introducing this feature though. Now if they'll just release a decent browser that holds up to scrutiny Thanks for the guide, if I ever boot into my Vista partition again long enough to consider upgrading to 7 (unlikely, but possible) I'll definitely come back to this article.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE Tester is excellent, but it's not without problems. For example, 24-bit PNG and transparency filters will fail in IE5.5/IE6 mode. It's also a little unstable and crashes quite frequently.
    They are suppose to fail... those browsers don't support PNGs. The only way to get those browsers to display PNGs correctly is using javascript hacks.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMIWebStudio View Post
    They are suppose to fail... those browsers don't support PNGs. The only way to get those browsers to display PNGs correctly is using javascript hacks.
    Right but he said "filters" do not work which is what the hacks use to get them to work.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE5.5/6 can load 24-bit alpha-transparent PNGs using filters, e.g. JavaScript code such as:

Code:
    DOMelement.style.filter="progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='myimage.png', sizingMethod='crop')";
    It works fine in a real installation of IE6, but fails in IETester, IE Collection, and all the other 'hacked' IEs I've tried. It also fails if you install then uninstall IE7.

That's a minor example, but it shows that IETester and similar applications cannot be relied on in all situations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had no end of problems with IE Tester in the past, with some versions not working, differences between it and the proper IE version, it not working at all in some cases.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I what to get this corrected...but the whole wrong idea is spreading across the web. XP Mode is available to all who can install Windows Virtual PC! Even Home Premium. It should not even be called XP Mode instead maybe Seamless Integration because it works for VM guest running Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It is added to the VM guest when you install the Virtual Addons. The only thing with Professional and Ultimate is the free copy of a Windows XP license. But Home Premium is not locked out of the Seamless Integration as long as you have your own copy of Windows XP (or other).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    XP Mode is available to all who can install Windows Virtual PC! Even Home Premium... It is added to the VM guest when you install the Virtual Addons. The only thing with Professional and Ultimate is the free copy of a Windows XP license. But Home Premium is not locked out of the Seamless Integration as long as you have your own copy of Windows XP (or other).
    Really? Have you tried it and confirmed that's the case? Microsoft certainly haven't made it public knowledge!

In the Pro XP VM, there's no option to install Virtual Add-ons - perhaps because it's installed already.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Have you tried it and confirmed that's the case? Microsoft certainly haven't made it public knowledge!

In the Pro XP VM, there's no option to install Virtual Add-ons - perhaps because it's installed already.
    I'll setup some test, and get my computer setup for dual booting and install Home Premium. Would be impossible to test it from inside a VM itself. XD This is in fact the perfect job for using VHDs (Virtual Hard Disk) and boot from them, all thanks to native support for VHDs in Windows 7.

I'll let you know the results as soon as possible.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I what to get this corrected...but the whole wrong idea is spreading across the web. XP Mode is available to all who can install Windows Virtual PC! Even Home Premium. It should not even be called XP Mode instead maybe Seamless Integration because it works for VM guest running Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It is added to the VM guest when you install the Virtual Addons. The only thing with Professional and Ultimate is the free copy of a Windows XP license. But Home Premium is not locked out of the Seamless Integration as long as you have your own copy of Windows XP (or other).
    True enough. You don't need Windows 7 to have multiple copies of IE for testing.

I've been using Virtual PC 2007 on XP Pro SP3 for quite some time; maybe a year and a half... I don't think it's supposed to work on XP Home but it will. I had it running on an XP Home machine before I put it on my main workstation. I'm using it to test IE6 & IE7 and I even used it to beta test IE8. I even installed Windows Server 2003 on Windows XP and did a bunch of Sharepoint development with it.

I can't imagine an easier way to test IE than by using Virtual PC 2007.

* Fun fact... You can install multiple copies of the parent XP distro and it will activate so you don't have to worry about the 15 Day activation issue.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know IE tester. We use Mac's and we use 'developers mode' in Safari. You can set the user agent to various IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera versions.
    On a site note, registration to this forum failed using Safari mode, had to switch to IE :-)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSA View Post
    I don't know IE tester. We use Mac's and we use 'developers mode' in Safari. You can set the user agent to various IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera versions.
    On a site note, registration to this forum failed using Safari mode, had to switch to IE :-)
    Uh...that only changes the user agent string that is sent to the server. It does nothing to alter the actual rendering of the page on the client. Unless said site sends different data according to the user agent but that would be a failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Ubuntu Linux 8.04 LTS. I installed Sun Virtualbox, and then downloaded a free 120 day version of Windows Server 2008. I install this in multiple instances. This gives me a way to test IE7, IE8, FF2, FF3, FF3.5, Safari (latest), Opera (latest), and Chrome (latest). For IE6, I used an old XP CD sitting around that I think I've had for a decade and installed inside Sun Virtualbox. Windows is what I test with, not what I have to live with for every other aspect in my life.

And, if you're really curious, I code in Gedit but only with other Gedit plugins added in (not just the default plugins), and in particular File Browser. I also use Inkscape and Gimp for graphic work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to get this configured, but am running Parallels 5 on a Mac Pro & Windows 7. Unfortunately the Hardware Assisted Virtualisation Detection Tool returns a negative.... Is it worth trying VirtualBox or do we need to run an additional Parallels for Windows? All up this is becoming seriously virtual!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I test out Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows Virtual PC to get this XP Mode thing going. And it does work! However you must do the manual labor yourself, no pre-compiled image. There are two things you will need to download, the first one is Virtual PC then while in the guest OS you need to download an update for Windows XP.

To get Windows Virtual PC for Home Premium you cannot use the main site instead you have to go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-2545b08e11dd

Install that, then using your own CD of Windows XP, Windows Vista SP1, or Windows 7 install inside the VM. Then from Tools you want to install the Integration Components, Enable Integration after that.

Now if you are using Windows XP you need to download: Update for Windows® XP SP3 to enable RemoteApp, which is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And here I uploaded proof. http://twitpic.com/p5z1s

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I uploaded proof. http://twitpic.com/p5z1s
    Brilliant! OK, so it's a little more tricky than the standard XP Mode, but it proves it can be done on Windows 7 Home.

If you don't mind, I'll post a new article about your solution and give you the credit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can drag the shortcuts out of where they appear on the W7 start menu to your desktop, quick launch or whatever as well without a problem, which is what I've done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried Internet Explorer Collection? It claims to provide the rendering abilities of IE versions 1.0 through 8.0, of which only the very first version of IE 1 and the last build of IE 7 (with one exception) do not work on XP. This would give XP a total of 12 different versions of IE. Just curious if anyone has tried it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyw0od View Post
    I tried it on Vista and most of the browsers failed dismally. XP is probably better, but all these solutions rely on hacks that cause problems, e.g. filters fail or the wrong version of JavaScript is used.

A totally separate IE installation in a VM or on another machine is the only real alternative.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ceeb Sorry but that's mostly wrong, I've done extensive testing on a lot of the various different solutions and while the Multiple-IE or IECollection packs do suffer those problems, IETester, Microsoft SuperPreview, Adobe BrowserLabs and the Spoon "browser kit's" work perfectly as a sandboxed environment. I have been using a mixture of those for a while now and have yet to come across a single instance where the rendering (JavaScript or otherwise) is differential to the actual Virtual Machine environment... and I can say this because I've tested side-by-side against the VM for IETester and Spoon's installers. The information you have is highly inaccurate and based on the false information that has been floating around the web, it took a heavy debate earlier in the year just to convince some people that IETester used the correct version of JScript for each IE version (I ended up using resource hacker a hex editor and some decompiling to prove that the application did reference the correct independent files). I have also not had any issues with filters, hacks or conditional comments on those mentioned either.

PS: I'm not associated with any of those brands

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with StormRider. The main problems I've encountered with every non-VM'd solution is that the IE5.5/6 24-bit PNG filter fails. In addition, the transparency effect filter is ignored so I suspect most other filters won't work either.

It's not just IETester. If you install then uninstall IE7, IE6 filters will fail (unless MS have fixed that recently). To fix it, you need to copy old versions of dxtrans.dll and dxtmsft.dll back to your IE6 installation folder.

IE was never designed to work alongside other versions. None of the sandboxed solutions is ever truly the same as a real installation -- rely on them at your own risk!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IETester is one of the most buggy programs I've used. Many of the other solutions just show you screenshots, they aren't a fully functioning browser, some won't let you use flash / javascript / png fixes etc. I have PLENTY of experience with the results of these various programs being different to the real browsers.