User Tag List

Thread: Doubleclick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Doubleclick

Has anyone used Doubleclick for online advertising? If so, what kind of results have you gotten?

I know A LOT of people have a negative opinion of them, and I'm really not too crazy about them myself. However, maybe it's best not to rule out giving them a try.... Do they even work with smaller companies?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

-Jim
    Videos for Learning - Educational videos (VHS/DVD) covering math, science, foreign languages, SAT preparation and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they didn't require something like 250,000 views a month to get in, I might give them a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubleclick actually requires a lot more than 250,000:
    DoubleClick [DCLK] has asserted its presence as a clear industry-leading provider of ad sales representation and technology. At present, they only accept sites that generate several million impressions per month, or which target a desirable demographic group and display solid growth potential. Payment is negotiated on a site-to-site basis.

UPDATE December 12th, 2001: A series of seeemingly related developments and cutbacks has constricted DoubleClick's lossy media division during the bulk of this year, and at its close, all indicators suggest that the company could completely depart the media representation business shortly. Nevertheless, the firm's solid reputation and comparitively effective sales unit makes DoubleClick's media service worthy of exploration as a short-term representation option.
    http://www.net-ads.com/sponsorship/impression3.html

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no anymore..they now have an option called the audience network for smaller publishers - 100,000 pageviews per month minimum, 25c default serving fee, uncapped popups..there are plenty of threads on here and other forums about them.

im using them, and the avg CPMs are better than anything else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avg. CPM?

Hi steb, if you don't mind me asking, what is the average CPM you are finding?

We got the contract this morning and are considering it. It seems on the surface that there isn't much left for publishers after the 4% initial deduction plus the 60% to DC. But if the CPM's are high enough, it might be worth it.

I'm also curious if people are finding they are receiving a lot of defaults and end up owing doubleclick?

tmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I serve my first 2 page views to fastclick and the rest to doubleclick.. I average 5 page views per unique.
    I've made probably 2x as much with fastclick than with doubleclick this month and I've served less ads with fastclick.

Heres the methods to my mayham.
    Doubleclick pays roughly .75CPM for 2 banners and a pop(counts as one immpression)
    If I serve 3 ads per user it takes roughly 333 unique visitors to make the 75 cents.

With fastclick I make roughly $3 CPM(uniqes) on pops
    Each unique only gets 1 popup.
    So we can take that $3 CPM and divide it by 2 since I only serve two immpressions to people
    So now I have 1.5CPM
    I then account in my top banners
    So lets just say I run around 1.7CPM (Since I'm only providing 2 immpressions)
    It would take me 500 uniques to get 1.7CPM with fastclick using this method where with Doubleclick with 600 uniques I would only get 1.5CPM

I hope my logic turned out alright
    I use both of these companies like I mentioned aboce... but I just thought I'd toss in my little trick which helps me make more..
    Thanks
    Ryan
    *WRITERS* Create How To Guides and articles and get
    75% of the MONEY it makes via Adsense forever!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

how to join the Doubleclick affiliate ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've been misunderstood...

...I was talking about purchasing advertising *from* Doubleclick, not selling it *to* them. I'm still a little confused as to why the moderator moved this post from the "Marketing & Promotion" forum to this one...
    Videos for Learning - Educational videos (VHS/DVD) covering math, science, foreign languages, SAT preparation and more!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Videosforlearning why would you wish to purchase advertisng from doubleclick? Have you considered purchasing from fastclick.
    Fastclick is cheaper, and you can geotarget, category target and deselect any site you don't want to run your campaign.
    Doubleclick charges about 1.50 cpm just for banners I believe, while fastclick charges 1 cpm or far less if you buy in bulk.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by firstmark
    Videosforlearning why would you wish to purchase advertisng from doubleclick? Have you considered purchasing from fastclick.
    Fastclick is cheaper, and you can geotarget, category target and deselect any site you don't want to run your campaign.
    Doubleclick charges about 1.50 cpm just for banners I believe, while fastclick charges 1 cpm or far less if you buy in bulk.
    To answer your first question: to increase sales and profits - the usual reason(s) for advertising. I haven't tried/looked at Fastclick, in fact I've never even heard of them. I will *definitely* check them out; thanks very much for the info.

Anyone else have any suggestions as an alternative to or an opinion of Doubleclick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for fastclick..
    *WRITERS* Create How To Guides and articles and get
    75% of the MONEY it makes via Adsense forever!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a cheap option is http://www.advertwizard.com they are half advertising network half banner exchange. you can buy 1million impressions for something like $300 i think. you can alos geo-target and target by interest aswell. i have used them with some sucess serving 100,000 impressions to a domain reg site and because of my banner being really good a creative i got 3.6%

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are recommending advertwizard you might as well recommend clicxchange.com too.
    Fastclick has higher quality sites though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were in your shoes I really would not go to ad networks to advertise my website.

Instead, I would spend a little time researching the market and find some websites that will fit your target demographics and contact them directly. [If you want, you can contact me by AIM or ICQ and I will be glad to go more in depth on this; this is the only way I sell advertising on my website so I know what the publishers are looking for]

On a side note, anyone considering to use DC - DON'T

The default 25 cent fee will kill you. I have served them MILLIONS and MILLIONS of impressions and have only gotten pennies in the end. They basically STEAL money from the websites - they first charge advertisers pretty nicely and then they also charge publishers for serving the banners which compensates for them having to pay the publishers who actually SERVE the banners for the advertisers. So in the end, most of the money stays with DC, and the websites who actually display the ads hardly get anything. In my notebook, it is criminalistic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Igor,

I'm starting to realize that what you say makes a lot of sense: going directly to the web sites avoids the "middleman" and should prove more profitable for myself and the sites on which I'll be advertising.

Thanks very much for the info.

-Jim

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you shouldn't go with doubleclick if you don't get atleast a million views a month. DoubleClick is really the company for big coperations and stuff, not many independent websites.