SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShayneTilley View Post
    In my conversation with Bill -- he mentioned that he had received a preliminary coroners report and that it was a blood clot was the cause, something would have been building for some time. His recent sickness would have served only to speed up the clot rather than be directly related.
    My mother died from a similar problem. She had varicose veins and clot formed after she banged her leg at work.

I'm not a physician, but if an intravenous drip was botched, and he had an inflammatory condition, it may have triggered a clot. Just my two cents....
    Tiocfaidh ár Lá

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is incredibly surprising and sad to hear. Dan's posts were always good value and he seemed a very genuine and decent guy.

R.I.P Dan
    Turning Point Development Pty Ltd
    Turning Ideas into reality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rip,
    Dan !!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    And you were his favourite webhost!

It was only a month ago that I mentioned you had referred to him as his favourite customer. He seemed quite chuffed about it
    Thank you, Ryan, that is so nice to hear. As for Dan, I am sad that he isn't around us to continue helping us all and lighting up our lives with his witty remarks, and I am shocked that he left us so suddenly, but I know he's out there somewhere learning something new to teach. He is a natural born teacher - a person that can soak up knowledge and then impart it to others in a most understandable manner. He is gifted that way.
    UBERHOST.NET
    Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated Hosting and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel or DirectAdmin • Money-Back Guarantee • 24/7 Support
    Providing "Service Above All Else" since 2005

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Did the coroner mention how much time he would have had to live had he not had his recent sickness? Gah if only I knew this was coming I would have siad goodbye
    I don't think that's the coroners job, but to be honest, I'd rather not comment, nor focus to much on this. It's not going to change the fact that he's no longer with us and interpreting and communicating what a coroner says in a report is not really my area of expertise.
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberhost View Post
    He is a natural born teacher - a person that can soak up knowledge and then impart it to others in a most understandable manner. He is gifted that way.
    Very true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know Dan too well, but I did see enough of his posts to realize that he was incredibly knowledgable and talented. My condolences goes out to Dan's family and friends during these difficult times.

R.I.P Dan

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You'll be missed.

Ripe Tomatos silver trophybronze trophy Rayzur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry to here that Dan has passed away. Like many people around here I considered him a dear friend. Dan was the one that presented me with the M.O.M. award in August 08'. We developed a friendship from that point forward and PM'd each other frequently.

Dan you will be greatly missed by all of us and never forgotten!

Rest in peace my friend, may the LORD bless you.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    O dear, how terribly sad. What an annus horribilis for his family. The Fates can move in mysterious ways.

May he rest in peace. :-(

Guru in training bronze trophy SoulScratch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly felt this was some sort of a joke or a pun play on a thread but seriously? Wow I can't believe this.. he was much too young.

The last time I had a conversation was on the 6th of October in which I assisted him with some development for a project related to WP, he had a pretty awesome personality and combined with his development knowledge was a likeable and well respected, renowned guy - proof being I'm already on the 4th page of just one of the forums in which he participated in..

My thoughts go out to his brother, who's had the misfortune of losing two of his closest family members in the same year.
    Cross browser css bugs

Dan Schulz you will be missed

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of ways we could remember Dan and I think that we should give him a special badge that can appear under his user name.
    I like this idea too. Also a collection of useful threads/tips. There was one on DP that he had in his sig there because so many people asked how to stop using frames... it was a how-to for simple PHP includes. He may have a similar thread or write-up here.

I think I should post this here too... because deathshadow was a very close friend of Dan's, even though he's not at SP anymore:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Knight
    Dan has been my friend for over thirteen years, and we were friends long before he started doing anything with web development.

I can remember when he was so proud of his first website - tossed together like the best of us of the era in Frontpage and slapped up on Geocities. I gave him free hosting because I saw his potential, and took him under my wing when it came to web development - most of his early sites being a full on collaboration between us. Many of his opinions came from me, and many of my opinions came from him as we were often of two minds on the subject of getting cleaner/leaner/faster/less bandwidth hungry websites into circulation WITHOUT sacrificing on appearance, accessibility, layout or SEO. I got him into cleaner coding, in return he's the one who got me into semantic markup. The past few years his SEO knowledge was a valuable resource to me just as my coding advice was to him... and I'm not sure what I'm going to do without him.

As I've said several times about him, eventually the apprentice became the master as we continued to push each-other to strive to do things better. I've lost not just a business partner and friend, but for all intents and purposes the little brother I never had. We talked via IM almost all day every day for thirteen years and despite living a thousand miles apart have gotten together more than once in person. I now feel like there's a void as I no longer have a sounding board I've come to rely upon to keep me grounded so far as pie in the sky ideas are concerned. I was PROUD as all hell to call my friend the man I had watched grow up from a wee lad. He was loyal, generous to a fault, and a true rarity in this day and age: a decent human being.

But if I know Dan, he's probably up there arguing with St. Peter on how 90% of SEO 'experts' are nothing more than scam artists... and trying to get them to update the Pearly Gates website to something more modern - and how such a recode could save them on hosting costs.

Give 'em hell Dan.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've just been reading the other posts in this thread and have to agree with each and every one of them (I held off commenting at this stage because I was pretty much lost for words - which is also why I didn't post much yesterday), Dan was truly a gifted web professional and his legacy will live on in all those posts he's contributed to (and helped argue in!) and hopefully the current and next generation of web professionals will be all the better off for having known him (if not he'll be rolling his eyes from the place he's moved onto). I've been in shock upon hearing the news and think it's a shame that such a great individual and community member has been lost, especially at such a young age. I talked to him on occasion in PM about various topics including his new look website (which tragically he wasn't around long enough to fully appreciate it) and regularly participated within threads which he was apart of and though I never met him in person the image I formed in my mind was that of someone who was a friend to everyone and never said a bad word or lost his temper with those people he chatted to.

I know since the death of his mother he was very shaken up and it can't have helped the illness he was suffering (he seemed pretty down when I spoke to him last) but I am sure none of us in the community could have predicted such an event could or would have happened. Dan was always willing to share his skills with us whenever he managed to get online and I am sure there's not a person here who would have anything bad to say against the guy. I guess there can be some consolation in the knowledge that perhaps he's been reunited with his mother (who he dearly missed) even though it's much sooner than he should have ever needed too. My thoughts are definitely with his brother and family who must be doubly in pain from the tragic loss of two people in such a short period of time. Any efforts SitePoint wants to do in relation to helping his family (if they are happy to allow us) will definitely be something we shall be willing to assist with (along with any other support we can humanly give to help with the stress Bill and his family must be suffering).

PS: Shayne, have you given Dan's family the URL to this thread so that they can see what a inspiration Dan has been to the community both as a expert in his field and a friend to those he met? If they feel up to reading the comments I am sure they will see that even though his life was tragically cut short there is some consolation that he has made a difference to a lot of peoples lives.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember asking him for advice on DP. I can't believe this happened.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I like that idea a lot and would be happy to help with building it.
    Ryan, I'm not the one to take the point on this, lacking both the access and the skills to do it justice, but I'd be glad to participate.

SP powers-that-be, could this be something hosted on SP itself?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly new to SitePoint, I didn't know Dan on a personal level but the short amount of time I've been here he has helped me greatly with my CSS Reset. This is very surreal to hear he has passed away. You'll be missed Dan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is terribly sad news. An absolute legend who had the answers to many of my problems and was a total gentleman with it.

Dan, you were a giant and it was an absolute pleasure to stand on your shoulders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally lurk about on the Sitepoint forums and then, now and again ask some questions, mainly in the PHP sub forum and Dan helped me many and many times. Sometimes, I would post a question and get no replies and then suddenly i'd get a good decent reply from Dan. So thanks for all that help Dan and you will be missed by many. My condolences are with all your family.

RIP

Regards,
    Neil

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I didn't know him, it still does not stop me from being incredibly saddened by the news. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family. Whether you touch one, or thousands as Dan did, we are all part of an extended family and feel this loss at some level.

RIP Dan. You were one of the good ones.

--Alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Dan, too young to die.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So terribly sad to hear the news of Dan's recent passing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences to his friends and family during this difficult time...

RIP Dan Shultz.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg! :_(
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - this was a shock.
    Dan helped me out personally on numerous occasions and will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

RIP Dan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

RIP Dan, my condolences to his family.
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am deeply saddened by this. Dan posted numerous, thoughtful, and extremely helpful replies to some questions I had about Wordpress earlier this year. I couldn't believe what I saw when I read the Community Crier today. RIP Dan - you were a gentleman and a professional. My condolences to your family, which has been through more than enough tragedy already.

-- Mike