SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimal system setup

I am looking for ideas on the optimal multi application processing solution setup in terms of both hardware and software.

I want to have a few monitors running simultaneously showing different apps, sometimes apps running on different operating systems. I want to be able to control all the apps easily and very quickly too, like switching to another app with a keyboard key or having a different keyboard for one running program and monitor etc.

I also want a ridiculous amount of processing power. I am not sure if there are any limits on the amount of processing power you can get by combining processors and graphics cards etc, but I want to max it out. To the point of being able to get the best frame rate possible on the most power demanding games not just at the moment but a few years down the line.

Lots of sound support too. And the ability to set one application as active -meaning with one keyboard hit I can switch which application is running on which monitor and which application is playing sound through my speakers. I also want to be able to be able to switch between speakers and headphones from my keyboard too. I am not sure what soundcards have multiple ports that can be easily controlled via software.

Basically the best amount of optimization and integration possible. Can someone give me an example of a great system? How much money would I expect to spend on the best solution possible? Either commercially or building it myself.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the point of being able to get the best frame rate possible on the most power demanding games not just at the moment but a few years down the line.

Rule 1: What is fast today will be half as fast in a year. Never bother sizing for more than 2 years out if you really want to have the best speed.

You can certainly get a 32-CPU or higher box if you can afford, it, but you probably need to start with a budget and see what you can get with that and then architect your solution to meet or exceed as many of your criteria as possible. Small inexpensive boxes running VMs can be as fast and more flexible than one monster machine... you just have to decide where you're willing to make your trade-offs.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!