SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wireless keyboard with long range?

    Does anyone know of a wireless keyboard that will work at long range? It should have a distance of at least 20 feet and work through walls. Any other alternatives, like a modified phone or something?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bahrain
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Recomment you CA keyboards its work on 10 Meters Range....

    But i Dont think with more then 30 Feet range how we look at LCD to Manage....

    otherwise CA Kayboards are working on 31.5 Range

    Cheers~

  3. #3
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by airstair View Post
    I Recomment you CA keyboards its work on 10 Meters Range....

    But i Dont think with more then 30 Feet range how we look at LCD to Manage....

    otherwise CA Kayboards are working on 31.5 Range

    Cheers~
    Through walls?

  4. #4
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,578
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 & 8000 keyboard & mouse set uses Bluetooth which is rated up to 30 feet... you'd have to try it in your house to know if it works through *your* walls. Not all walls are equal in terms of blocking radio signals, but 2.4ghz penetrates most.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 2.4GHz is enough, then why not just get this?

    http://www.amazon.com/Inland-Wireles...7660271&sr=1-2

  6. #6
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,617
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been using this for my HTPC for a while. Seems to work in the next room fine.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823201035

    Normally I don't recommend house brands since results are often mixed (Rosewill is newegg's house brand), but it was cheap enough and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it actually worked.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  7. #7
    Serial Entrepreneur
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does your monitor work through the wall? Same technique may apply for best results.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

  8. #8
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amf45 View Post
    How does your monitor work through the wall? Same technique may apply for best results.
    Yeah, but I don't want the keyboard to only be usable from a fixed location. I can use the same technique to move the transmitter closer to the keyboard, though. However, I can only make that decision once I have to keyboard.

  9. #9
    Serial Entrepreneur
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the transmitters are USB-based and you can get an extension wire for that and run it through the wall. Some monitors also include USB hubs that you can tie into.

    The idea of trying to make it work through semi-solid objects just seems like eventually you'll get frustrated that it doesn't work consistently.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

  10. #10
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amf45 View Post
    Most of the transmitters are USB-based and you can get an extension wire for that and run it through the wall. Some monitors also include USB hubs that you can tie into.

    The idea of trying to make it work through semi-solid objects just seems like eventually you'll get frustrated that it doesn't work consistently.
    Well, if you count the distance that it is through the wall, it's a LOT less than the maximum distance of the keyboard, so I am hoping that it will work. I can always buy an extension cord later.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would also be nice to have an RF keyboard with a built-in device for moving the mouse, like a wheel that can be rolled.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I think 'Wireless' keyboards are not designed or have the range beyond a few feet. This is because 99% of users have the keyboard and mouse next to the PC, unless their monitors are that big to make te wordds visible on a long range. It's the simple fact that the power output of the devices are extremely low power.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theemerchant View Post
    Honestly I think 'Wireless' keyboards are not designed or have the range beyond a few feet. This is because 99% of users have the keyboard and mouse next to the PC, unless their monitors are that big to make te wordds visible on a long range. It's the simple fact that the power output of the devices are extremely low power.
    I guess I can always get a cheapo wired keyboard (or short-range wireless with built-in mouse) and spend the rest of the money on USB wiring.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •