SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touch Screen/Kiosk Development

I have a question about touch screen user interfaces. I have never used a touch screen or developed for one, so this is new to me.

I am looking at creating a kiosk at my workplace. We want to use a touch screen monitor of course connected to a PC.

What are all the processes need to create one? If I develop an UI in flash, will the buttons be functional without a mouse? Is flash even the right direction? or should I be looking at another language?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It largely depends on what you're creating but some kiosks can be as simple as running a web browser and serving the same sort of content as you'd find in any web application. Opera browser, for instance, has a kiosk mode , see http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/index.dml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be creating video tutorials, tools, bringing in rss feeds, registrations and such but I envision this being very fluid and visually appealing. Can I create this in flash, run it within the Kiosk Mode or Opera and it would be functional?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Touch screens work in the same way (within the OS) as a mouse click, effectively there should be no difference in the method you need to use to create the project, however I would say as a matter of design you immediately need to ensure that the "click area" (or any areas for selection an interaction) need to be big enough that people can select something without being too precise (not everyone has good hand/eye co-ordination) so lots of big buttons, larger text fields and generally a bigger design that's enhanced for being "point and click" rather than scrollable, scrolling on touch screens can be a challenge for disabled people

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of those Kiosk devices run using an operating system called eComStation (or eCS for short). It is basically where IBM's version of the operating system Microsoft created for them back in the late 80s under the name OS/2 has carved out a niche market for itself. It is basically IBM's fifth or sith version of that OS. It split from the Microsoft version back at version two with IBM and Microsoft developing what started as the same OS down different paths. Microsoft recently released their seventh version of their variant under the name Windows 7.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">