SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a simple database question, we'll see!

We have a simple basic html web, about 30 pages, and about 40 prices for items scattered amongst the pages. We don't want to use a shopping cart. However, we're tiring of manually having to go into all the pages and adjust prices every few weeks. Is there a way to update our prices from our excel file to the website? This doesn't have to occur every time someone accesses a page, but just when we want to update our prices all at once a couple of times a month. Currently using MS Expression web. If it turns out to be pretty straightforward, I'm sure we'd be expanding the number of items, but still do not want a shopping cart.
    Sorry I'm probably using the wrong terminology for the question. What program would you recommend, given our very basic understanding of databases. I was looking at using zencart, as a showcase without shopping cart, but it seems way more than we need. Any ideas where I can start? Thnx.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most basic way to do it would be to use server side includes. You would simply place each price in a separate text file named so as to identify what it is for and include that file wherever you want the price to show. Need to change the price and there is then only one place to change instead of everywhere it appears.

Next step up from that is to use a server side language such as PHP which would allow you to assign all the prices to appropriate field names from within one file included in all your pages and then echo the appropriate field wherever you want that price to appear.

The next step up from that is to have the server side script read in the prices from somewhere.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The most basic way to do it would be to use server side includes. You would simply place each price in a separate text file named so as to identify what it is for and include that file wherever you want the price to show. Need to change the price and there is then only one place to change instead of everywhere it appears.

Next step up from that is to use a server side language such as PHP which would allow you to assign all the prices to appropriate field names from within one file included in all your pages and then echo the appropriate field wherever you want that price to appear.

The next step up from that is to have the server side script read in the prices from somewhere.
    Hmm, not as simple as I thought. Thanks for the reply. The most "basic" way looks pretty similar to what we're doing now, in terms of inputting. It looks like investigating PHP might be the way to go. I'm not sure on what the distinction is between the Php route you mention as the middle route, and the "next step up". Can you explain what the server side script option would be -- which program would that use.
    Again, thanks for your help.