User Tag List

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Words Per Webpage

Dear all,

I have recently send a web proposal out, and it looks like the client is openly trying to barter with me, which sucks. Anyhow, I would be interested to know how many words are advised on a web page. Initially I thought it might be 600 words.

Does anybody have any information on this.
    Kind Regards,
    Sega

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    openly trying to barter with me
    Due to the "illiguidity" of barter, triple the amount you're bartering for. And/or, argue if you're not paying you're not a client -- you don't get the right to act like a client. (List your negative client practices here).

That should throw a monkey wrench into this popular non-client scam.

How many words are pretty much dependent on your skill as a writer, and a little on the audience.

The better writer you are, the longer you can maintain interest. Very good writers understand interest is a tool, a step, to a larger objective. Without this objective, word counts don't matter.

Really, who cares if you lose people at around 300 words of a 500 word article which has no purpose?

Is the purpose selling a technical product to a non-technical clientèle? Or are you preaching to the choir? One of these is going to require more of those word things than t'other.

User tests proved (past tense) categorically, users do not scroll. ....And then they did. Things change, but people want pat, fixed, rules that don't.

People are reading full books, muti-page articles, and the Kindle and other devices are used as electronic books. All this argues the number of words people read on electronic devices is a variable which will change over time.

Related:

Long Copy vs. Short Copy tested... Contains the thread on the Poynter Eyetrack study "The Myth of Short Attention Spans". Yeah, people scan. They scan for what interests them ...then they read it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You kind of lost me there. :P

I am the web designer and the client is bartering with me, the reason I put this on "Content Writing" Forum is because I thought you might have a greater idea of a word count for each web-page, that's all.

They work similar to the prince of darkness, initially they say they want something very very simple, and then they slowly come in with their demands, and before you know it they want a flying dancing website with whistles attached to it.

I warned the clients that clients act this way, hopefully the will understand that I have a bit of experience with idiotic clients like this.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the thread linked. As with most questions, it's been answered before.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    k.. thanks

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you have shown me a different perspective to my answer, thanks.