User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simply rails 2-not able to show dynamic time

I changed the index file to <%= Time.now %> but now IE cannot display the page, what is wrong?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4877 View Post
    I changed the index file to <%= Time.now %> but now IE cannot display the page, what is wrong?
    What's the error that IE gives you exactly? Are you sure your server is running? Make sure by checking localhost:3000.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get...Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, the server seems to be running, I even restarted the server, page still will not display, what is the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get...Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, the server seems to be running, I even restarted the server, page still will not display, what is the problem?
    If you put this into your url bar: http://localhost:3000/

And you are getting "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" - that is usually because the server is not started. Are you saying that Firefox and/or Chrome is able to show the page but that IE is not?

If so, are you developing on a Windows machine that has IIS? If the answer is yes, than you should go into the IIS Manager and stop that server in order for IE to see Mongrel.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a
    hard battle." -Plato

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does IIS stand for, how do I get to the manager?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does IIS stand for, how do I get to the manager?
    Internet Information Services.

It's windows server software. Just like Mongrel is the Rails server. Whenever I have IIS and Rails running on the same machine I have to make sure IIS is turned off in order for my Rails apps to run properly.

If you are using Vista, you can click on the big start button in the lower left corner. Then in the search box, type in IIS Manager, and you can use that to cut it off.

You may or may not have it installed, it depends on what version of Vista you have. (or if you even have Vista)

What version of Windows are you using? And is it the Professional or the Home version?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a
    hard battle." -Plato

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ensure that your mongrel server is not using port 80, you shouldn't have to turn off IIS. IIS becomes a problem if both IIS and Mongrel want to use the same port. So if you use the default localhost:3000, 3000 is the port number Mongrel will use and you should notget a conflict unless IIS is also set to use port 3000 (which it normally will not be).

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can paste a series of Ruby commands into a file and then run the file. For example, create a file called test.rb and paste in the following:
    Code:
    puts "Hello world"
    Then save the file to your current location and run this command:

ruby test.rb