SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid IE Tricks (Class not registered error)

I'm having a really hard time getting my mind around this but here's what I've learned so far...

Doing a very simple JavaScript on a web page:

Code:
    function openpopup ()
    {
    	alert("In openpopup.");
      popupWindow=window.open('popupfilter.jsp','popupWindow','width=660,height=500,menubar=yes,resizable=yes');
    }

function popup ()
    {
      if (!window.popupWindow) {
    		alert("Opening 1st time.");
    		openpopup();
    	}
    	else if (popupWindow.closed) {
    		alert("Closed, reopening.");
    		openpopup();
    	}
      else {
    		alert("Already open, focusing.");
    		popupWindow.focus();
    	}
    }
    Excuse the alerts, they are there due to debugging. Anyway, works great as expected in NS6.2, but IE5.x and IE6.0 report an error:

"Class not registered."

This was like no other JavaScript error I've ever seen, and I can't remember the last time I had an error in IE that didn't also show up in NS.

Did some searching and finally came across this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q306831

Let me get this straight...this is a known bug with IE, even so far as having a solution on the web, that dates back as far as Windows95 IE5.5 and MS hasn't fixed it yet?

Has anyone else come across this problem? What in the world is causing urlmon.dll to become unregistered? Is there something else in my page that is causing this problem? I can't got to production with this kind of error, but how the heck do I fix it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a known bug.
    The same way as you deleting all your sys files is a known bug!!!

Let's try and clear this up - a bug is something that is native in a program - or comes about through fault of the program.
    A unregistered file is NOT a bug, as i see it - since it was registered when the program was installed - and something you ( perhaps unintentionally, no offense ) must have done has caused the key to become a stray pointer.

The problem is - though i haven't ever encountered it at all - probably localised to your machine - so you shouldn't really worry about it.

i'm against proprietary systems - but i've found Microsoft support to be excellent when you know what's wrong and what you need from them.
    I've worked with them several times on hotfixes for issues and their support system and technical side have worked terrifically with and for me to find a solution quickly - i was most impressed considering i hate M$oft!

You could use a try->catch(e) scenario to see if it pops up in any other browsers ( auto submit an error form to you - and that way you'll know if anyone else has that problem!

Good luck

Flawless
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no bug involved the error applies to IE5.5 - 6
    You just need to install the latest DirectX Engine 8.1