SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you email 100's of people who have previously completed forms on your site ?

At the moment, users complete a form on the site, asking for information on future items, giving email address, name and telephone number, etc. I then communicate with them via the emails, but occasionally, when the items they enquired about become available, I want to email to all of them, to say so.

BUT, this is taking me many, many hours every time, as I have to go through all of the enquiries, (100's), getting the em address from each of them and then email out.

The question is, how do you do it please ?

Any help appreciated.

Dez.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    You *could* just BCC the whole lot of them at once, but sending out bulk emails is a dangerous business. Web hosts can slam you hard if they think you may be spamming.

In my view, by far the best solution is to hook up with a service like CampaignMonitor or MailChimp. They are great services for sending email campaigns, and are very cheap (it's usually about 1c per email).

And, you get the benefit of all their stats etc, so that you can see how many emails have been opened, how many times they've been viewed etc. Really useful info. You can also set up registration forms so that customers can choose a range of topics to be emailed on... the list is endless.

I use Campaign Monitor, but I recently noticed that MailChimp allows for a certain number of free emails (3000?) so that may suit you better.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but sorry I may not have explained this as well as I could have.

Firstly, is there a way for email address's to automagically be entered into a database somewhere either on my pc, or at my hosts ?

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The companies I mentioned above provide forms that you place on your website and which receiv user-submitted email addresses and feed them straight into a database. You can also roll an existing list of email addresses into the database.

Also some CMSs have this facility built in, and allow you to send out bulk emails from their own database.

You could also build a system yourself if you know enough PHP. But I would still recommend the options I outlined above.