User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which CMS for my special site?

hi,

im looking for a good CMS that has to have some special features for my site.
    i already looked through a whole lot of the major CMS products and i used joomla earlier but for this kind of project i dont know what to choose.

my project will look something like this:

- will contain a lot of news updated daily

- a database with a larger number of people in it
    this means every person in the DB will have a profile page with alot of stats about that person, dont mistake this for a social network, these people are not users of the site, those are professional rugby players and i want to database them so all the people can see what age etc. they are how many points they scored and all that stuff

- of course they will be categorized in teams and countrys etc.

- a big integrated forum/board with dicussion about the sport
    the forum should be integrated very good and different parts of it should accessible through the main menu, so that news, pages, infos etc melt together with the forum and you can get into discussion about i.e. a rugby team by being redirected from the profile of the team etc.

- user management should be good

i used joomla before, and i was happy with it for simple sites but this is a step forward and i dont know if joomla can handle that.
    joomla was easy to use for me, and was my first cms that i used but it seemed like it was made for "beginners".
    i looked into typo3, but this was another universe, too complicated and you have to write nearly everything from hand, or maybe i didnt understand it

if anyone could help me i would be very happy.
    thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a look at vBulletin. It has a blog addon that could handle your news and the Custom Profile Fields should let you do whatever you want with showing member stats.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks but the thing is, that i dont need special memeber stats, but i want a database full of rugby players, which will not be users/members of my forum/site, but they will have playerprofiles in a database so all the people can see infos about them.
    site(news etc)+forums(discussions)+playerdatabase(profiles/stats/infos).

thanks for your help anyway

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would still work if you set up a special class of what vBulletin sees as members, a class called "players".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

if you want to try a more professional CMS, you could use ContentXXL. It's easy to use with a mass of modules (news, forum, etc) which are all customizable for your own needs.

In your case there are serveral ways to integrate your player database.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that but contentxxl costs 6.450 euros in the most basic system

iwas thinking of something free...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vbulletin or Joomla

I'd wait for Vbulletin 4.0 to come out, it will have CMS in front, forum in the back, and also a place where you users can blog if they want.

Joomla is awesome too. You can pick out an awesome theme through a template club and use the kunena forum software.

Overall Vbulletin has a smoother interface, but Joomla is better for monetizing an income.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be for whom the Joomla more complicated to understand, but starting to work with it, you will appreciate its advantages. I agree with the later post. “Joomla is better for monetizing an income.”

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do it with wordpress and a membership plugin.

I think you are trying to do more than is possible with any single free product. There are lots of free products to address any one of your objectives. To put them all together in a clean integrated package is, I suspect, going to cost.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could roll an custom Zikula Distribution for something like that.
    Halbrook Technologies - Web Hosting &
    Zikula Application Framework Services