SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can I find Cheapest Desktop

I am looking for the cheapest desktop thats decent.

I dont want to build one, I just want a refurbished desktop around 200 or less thats not too old.

Does anyone know a good place or store online where to find these? I look on google but the PCs are usually super old.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $200 is a really, really slim budget for a desktop. You won't find any desktops at Dell Outlet and the like for less than $300. And 25% of your budget would have to go to shipping... desktops are heavy.

That leaves you with eBay and the like as options, where you'll get old, slow computers without a warranty and with who knows what kind of problems the seller won't disclose.

If you save up just a little more, you'll be able to get something new/refurb instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn I guess Ill save a little more

But these look real cheap
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&Sku=B69-0119

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says its a kit, does that mean you put it together?

No hard drive or operating system.
    Kevin

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that won't get you anywhere without spending more money.

As for a desktop, it depends what you want it for, really. For example, if I wanted a desktop to solely do programming on, it wouldn't be too much bother to get an old second hand computer - if its low on specs, I'd just format it and install a light linux distro on it (programming needn't be processor intensive, though with some IDEs it can be!).

Of course, saving up and buying something DECENT is much more worth it. The laptop I'm using now was considered quite good in its prime - 2gb memory, 80gb harddrive, dual processor. It was fairly good running XP - I wouldn't even TRY vista on it, or windows 7. However, with Ubuntu on it it runs fantastically - and there should be a few machines with similar specs on the second hand market for fairly little money.

Linux is much faster, more 'comfortable', more flexible to your needs and does everything I want it to. On a low budget, Linux should be your first choice as, most importantly, it's FREE! Alot of distributions (Ubuntu being one) are suitable for low powered computers - ubuntu runs fine on 256mb ram, and a 20gb hdd would do.

For graphics applications you will be looking for something with a bit more power.

So - what do you want to do with this computer? Graphics design? Programming? Video editing? Web server? Web development?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Link up top - Usually you don't have to assemble much and sometimes they are already pre-setup. It's very easy to setup a desktop but the research (finding parts you want, and a few little tiny wires) are the hard or annoying part :P

Well Im going to use my old hard drives that I still have, my larger PC motherboard died after 4 or 5 years. I actually downloaded Ubuntu and was going to replace XP as I thought it was a HDD problem but it wasn't, so I might just stick with what I have once I replace the hardware :P

A 2gb RAM, Dual Processor is fantastic, I am using an AMD Turion64 X2 on my laptop, I also wouldn't try to put on Windows 7, it came with Vista but I popped XP on it. I think you'd be able to run Vista but It wouldnt feel fast like Linux :P

I am liking Linux more and more, and I might go to it if Windows 7 Doesn't seem worth the upgrade (When I upgrade eventually)

My desktop was a Single core AMD 2.4Ghz, with 2GB 400MHZ DDR2 Ram, It seems slow but man I never needed anything faster. Shoot, I make a few graphics, program on it, and play a 2d game called Subspace, thats about it :P

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kit doesn't come with all the hardware you need to build a computer, not nearly. You still need a video card, you still need a hard drive, you still need a DVD drive, and depending on the motherboard you might also need a network card and sound card. A full computer would also come with a keyboard, mouse, wireless, operating system, warranty and support.

You'll end up spending more than twice the cost of the kit to make it a full computer.

As to all that OS stuff, Windows 7 is faster than Windows XP. All the new netbooks (Asus, Acer, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba...) are coming with Windows 7 instead of XP now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks this is good advice Dan