User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview with the man behind PHP-GTK

Hey,

Due to popular demand, and the success of our interview with Rasmus, we're pleased to let you know that Andrei Zmievski has agreed to an interview. He's:

- a PHP cCore developer,
    - co-author of PHP Developer's Cookbook and
    - th principal developer of PHP-GTK (check out his resume here).

Now, it's over to you! What questions would you like to ask Andrei? Let us know!
    georgina

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What similar client-side additions to the PHP codebase do you expect?

How does PHP-GTK even the playing field with Perl, C, Tk, etc.?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna be posting a whole load of questions shortly. Just waiting for the required moment of inspiration (where's that PHP vs ASP thread )

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, crank it up!

HarryF, we await your questions with baited breath.

I'll need to get back to Andrei in the next few days, so if you have any questions to post, get 'em in quick!

georgina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is also one of the two lead developers on Smarty (the PHP templating system) - can we ask him questions about that as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaarrrghh! Someone develop me a PHP GTK app quick for posting to websites! Just posted a long list on questions, without copying them first, and hey presto - the proxy server was down and I lost em all. Sigh. OK - again...

PHP

- Are you still actively involved in the PHP project?

- What's your opinion of recent changes to PHP, like register_globals off in 4.2.0 and the new predefined variables in 4.1.0?

- Do you think PHP has reached maturity? What further big enhancements to security do you see coming?

- Where does PHP stand in the light of Microsofts .NET?

- When did you first come across PHP and what was it that "got you hooked"?

- Smarty is now part of the Pear library. Perhaps one of PHPs disadvantages is the sheer number of different approaches to programming in it, each backed with it's own Open Source project. Do you feel the Pear library is ready to deliver a standard application framework for PHP?

- Apart from those you're been involved in, which Open Source projects, written in PHP, have impressed you most?

PHP GTK

- PHP GTK allows developers to write cross platform, windowed applications for users to run right on their desktops. For developers with experience of building PHP websites, what can PHP GTK do for them?

- How would you describe the current state PHP GTK project? What would you like to see added?

- With many thousands of experienced PHP website developers out there, are there any plans to encourage tthem to make use of PHP GTK? And will we see a PHP GTK competition on Coding Contest any time soon?

- You also developed PHPs WDDX extension. Is there a common theme here with PHP GTK? Are there plans for a standard interface between PHP GTK applications and PHP enabled websites?

- What use have you made of PHP GTK yourself?

- If one of Sitepoints members developers a "killer app", is the PHP GTK ready for it to be placed on every desktop?

General
    - On your website http://gravitonic.com/, you quote John Burroughs: "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.". With everything you're doing, one question begs to be asked. How do you find the time?

- You are Research and Development director at ispi, a news publishing ASP. A few years ago ASPs were hailed as the successors to ISPs. How far do you think that's become a reality and what do you see as the future for ASPs?

- What origionally got you into software development?

- In general, what do you see coming on Internet, both in terms of technology and how business / indivuals use it?

OK - that's it for now. May post more later today as the moment takes me.

So, do I get to be Sitepoints own Letterman yet?
    Last edited by HarryF; Jun 5, 2002 at 01:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great questions HarryF Just one factual point though - Smarty isn't part of PEAR (and there aren't any plans to make it part of PEAR either) - it has hosting on php.net but is very much a seperate project.

I have an exam in half an hour but I'll try to come up with some good questions later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Thought I read somewhere it was but you're right - checked it out. So let me rephrase that question;

- Smarty is now part of the Pear library. Perhaps one of PHPs disadvantages is the sheer number of different approaches to programming in it, each backed with it's own Open Source project. Do you feel the Pear library is ready to deliver a standard application framework for PHP?
    Becomes two questions;

- On Smarty and general seperation of coding logic from content do you feel that PHP has solutions that satisfy both PHP coders and web designers? What else would like / are you planning to do with Smarty?

- Perhaps one of PHPs disadvantages is the sheer number of different approaches to programming in it, each backed with it's own Open Source project, for example Smarty vs. FastTemplate, if you'll excuse the comparison. Do you feel the Pear library is ready to deliver a standard application framework for PHP? Is there an alternative project you feel should be endorsed by the PHP group?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got another question for the PHP_GTK section;

- Do you see any common ground between PHP-GTK and the .NET client side framework? Do you forsee PHP-GTK being the client side of a future php.NET language?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feeling frisky tonight. Another for the general PHP section;

From the Zend Hall of Fame, you're quoted as saying;

"I'm impressed by what mod_perl can do, and I'd like to make PHP jump through the same kind of hoop, so that it would be possible to write any sort of Apache handlers in straight PHP code,"
    Are we likely to see this happen? What will this allow developers to do with PHP?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HarryF, you are SitePoint's own Letterman. All you need is a 6 piece band and a couple of cameras!

I anyone else has any questions, I'm sending them off on Monday, so be quick!

georgina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright! Was in need of an excuse to switch avatars!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check it out!

Kevin's interview with Andrei is now live:

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/812

Enjoy!

georgina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Fascinating is it also mentions Firepages, who's working on building the first PHP-GTK installer for Windows. We've seen his posts on this subject here. Sitepoint members making a difference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I noticed that too Great interview (I blogged it).