SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow creating pdf files for acrobat reader???

I am trying to create a downloadable order form to be displayed in acrobat reader. I know how to link to the pdf file, but I'm having a hard time creating the file in a manageable size.

I've tried creating it using adobe photodelux and using the text option (since I only need text), but if I want a form that prints legibly, I need to save it at the minimum of 72 p/in and it ends up being over 6000kb. I've also tried scanning the word document, then saving it as a pdf, but it's still an enormous file (over 1000kb).

I only need one page of text! How can I create a pdf file in a manageable size?

Myra

P.S. I've also tried just uploading the word document and linking to that instead, but my server isn't configured to handle that properly. I AM open to other ideas besides acrobat, but felt that it was the most professional method if I can get it to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6000 KB - for one single page?

Try GSview instead of adobe photodelux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... thats odd. I can scan a full page of text and have it around 30-50k. The settings you use when you scan will have a great effect on file size though. I use "Text-Enhanced" which is essentially black and white at 300dpi. You could also try typing your form in Microsoft Works (or Word) and then just printing to the Distiller. That will give a reasonable file size as well.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that if you are converting an image (e.g. a scan) to PDF, the PDF file is including a huge chunk of bitmap image data. Ever notice how much bigger an A4 image is when compared to an A4 Word page?

Desdelena is right - a lower resolution will make the file smaller (but you will lose some quality). The best idea is to create a PDF without the huge image in it e.g. by creating the form in Word and then generating the PDF from that.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have 5 or less pages to convert, you can sign up for the trial of "Creating pdfs online" service from adobe.

here is a link : http://createpdf.adobe.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should create the order form using MS Word then PRINT using the Acrobat Distiller .. then the file will surely be less than 100k