SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you only submit a Blog sitemap once?

Hello all, I just started blogging, I was wondering about sitemaps... Should I wait until i have a couple months of posts before I submit a sitemap to google?

Im wondering what others do... Lets say you submitted a sitemap but then down the line you release a great article that you want search engines to realize is on your site,.. do you have to submit again?

I know this may seem like a rediculous question, but Im just trying to get an understanding..

Thanks
    Shane.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only submit a sitemap to tell the search engine where it is. It will be re-downloaded on a periodic basis automatically. Resubmitting it does not accomplish anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

How frequent does it scan your pages once submitted?
    Do the pro bloggers do some technic to get their new recent blog topics scanned for search engines?

I mean if i understand it correctly, a persons topic wont show up in search results unless it was scanned, right? so you could search for the exact words of their post but not find it until months down the line when & after google robots rescan his site?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically, that's the case.

In reality, Google recrawls most websites, at least shallowly (meaning the index page and pages that are not too many links away) at least monthly. Highly active and popular sites are re-indexed almost in real-time, with pages being revisited by Google's crawlers every couple of minutes.

For example, your first post here is already in Google's search results:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Google visited this thread only 20 minutes ago.

The best way to increase the rate at which Google revisits your site and the depth at which it crawls you is to get linked to from other important sites. PageRank is in part used to determine those rates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS ALOT MAN! You really cleared that up (and with details).
    sincerely appreciated.

Shane.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually I will submit sitemap only once and it's done as soon as the site is created. From what I read, the purpose of having it is to let the crawlers find your new content easily so I do not think you should resubmit again and again if there's any new changes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what some people think that resubmitting to sitemap would give them extra benefits. But its not really true. Glad you found your answer to your question already.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. submitting once is pretty enough. Then you need to get more back links.

SitePoint Enthusiast Shane Is My Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I have one more question about sitemaps.
    I submitted my sitemap to google about 5 days ago. yet, if i copy text from my first blog post, and paste it into google, it still does not show up in the results (even though the text is an exact copy of whats in my blog).
    Could this be because google still hasn't made the initial scan (even though i submitted 5 days ago)? only asking just in case i did it wrong...
    Shane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should sign up for Google Webmaster Tools. It will tell you when your sitemap has been downloaded and give you crawl stats. But yes, that means your page is not in the search index still, which usually happens shortly after being crawled.

SitePoint Enthusiast Shane Is My Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. doing that now.
    Shane