SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

External hard drive formatting issue - need help!

Hi guys,

I really need some help and advice.

Today I formatted my computer and reinstalled XP. My external hard drive was still plugged in and showed up as a partition. By accident I then deleted both my local partition and the external hard drive partition.

I then went ahead and formatted the local drive and reinstalled XP.

When I booted up the PC it should the external hard drive as a local disk, but wouldn't allow me to access it unless I format it. Unfortunately I have/had important stuff on there and really need to access it.

My question is, whether there is a program which will help me recover the materials which are on the hard drive. I'm guessing that this should be possible given the fact that I didn't format the drive just delete the partition, right?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Colin, I have heard that if you boot using a live Linux distro CD you can restore the partition table of a lost element (the process of this I am not exactly sure of but I vaguely remember someone else doing what you needed in such a manner). My advice would be to give Google a whirl

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been using GetDataBack from Runtime for years to recover data, this is by far the best tool I have come across for this.

For deleted partitions you also have Partition Recovery from DiskInternals and Active Partition Recovery

You may also have a look at this article from MS
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar