SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converting Legacy Binary Data

We have a potential project where the client used an old dos binary database. We have no idea how to extract the data as the creator has passed on. We do know that the data is stored in binary flat files.

Unfortunatley when I view them in notepad, I cannot read them. How might we be able to extract the data?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "binary" just means "not plain text"... if you have no idea how the raw bits translate to usable data, you can't get it out

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, i have traid a dbase viewer to know avail. How might the data be read?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    "binary" just means "not plain text"... if you have no idea how the raw bits translate to usable data, you can't get it out
    Gotcha. I was hoping to get the data exported into readable tables at least. How might you find out how the raw bits translate to usable data?

Are there tools for this process?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The linux strings utility will try searching through the file for any offsets where reading the data gives it ascii text. You can start there. The best bet is to figure out what program the file was used with, then finding something to open or convert it should be much easier.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input, Dan.

The file was used in two legacy apps written in C and Visual basic. We have no access to the source code. I can make sense of SOME OF the lines but most are interspersed with weird characters.