SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript 'problem' ?

Try to access any of my pages outside the frames page I use a script to load it.

It's working fine but in the last two days I get an error asking if I want to debug.

Any ideas why, the codes posted below?

Code:
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
    if (parent.location.href == self.location.href) {
    window.location.href = 'index.htm';
    }
    //  End -->
    </script>
    {Don't know if this is related but, I up dated some pages on my site today and now when I click on the links the URL in the status bar is like this - file:///c:/abcsites/blahblah/blahblah.htm - instead of - http://www.blahblah.co.uk/blah.htm - any ideas why?}
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without you posting the actual files, it's hard to tell. But I am guessing that you edit your files with a WYSIWYG editor, and not a text editor, and that path in your links is the location where the file was when you added the link in your page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on Randem, I was in a hurry today and had to update my first personal site with Front page. A perfect reason not to use the damn program, it's burnt my fingers again.

I use to wonder why wysiwyg editors got a bad name in the forums, and after using Front page for a while to start learning then 'upgrading' to Dreamweaver, all is now clear. They are a pain in the a#s.
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, your JS is slightly flawed - the parent frame is not necessarily the topmost frame of the frameset, and so loading your site's within another site's frameset would not be detected.

Try this instead:
    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript">
    if (top.location.href==location.href)
    {
    	top.location.href = "index.htm";
    }
    </script>

M@rco
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but then if it IS in another frameset - and he didn't put it there - surely he'd want to redirect the whole page anyway? ( sorry if i'm overlapping - i haven't read through thoroughly )

In which case he'd be right to redirect the whole page.

If this ISN'T the case - surely he still wants to redirect the frame above his - since it's inside another frame - granted - but he still wants to deal properly with his own site - even if it's inside A N Other

Flawless
    ---=| If you're going to buy a pet - get a Shetland Giraffe |=---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason I use the script I posted was because the 3 seperate frame elements were being displayed and indexed by search engines. With this script if you saw the 'header/footer,etc' in google it will take you to the main site, fully loaded.
    Without it there was no way to find my site. I have since put <noindex> in the files and the problem was solved.

But I still use this script to load the frameset should you try to access a page directly, without the header, footer and links.

The only problem I have with this script is it always loads the index (frames) page, I have no idea how to implement a script that would ensure the header/footer/links were loaded when a page is called seperatly.

Unfortunately javascript is still a little above my head, I only do this for fun. I found the script ready made at this website.

Sorry Marco but what your saying makes little sense to me, can you enlighten me a little.

Thanks in advance!