SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing Nice PDF Reports

I sometimes see professionally and beautifully designed PDF reports. The graphics usually go all the way to the edges. What programs do this? Is it Microsoft Word or Adobe Illustrator? Anyone know any articles to read up on for this? Thanks.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe Acrobat is Adobe's software for creating PDFs. The graphics you put in the PDF can come from anywhere; you can create them in Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You "could" use Microsoft Word, there's settings to let you remove the page margins which would resolve that issue. Or you could use some PDF printing software which'll print any document to a PDF file, other than that you might want to check out Adobe Acrobat as Dan mentioned already

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the point of a PDF is to be able to print it why would you want to do away with the margins? Most home printers are not equipped to print to the edge and will end up shrinking(or truncating) your document anyway.

My default is to use a half-inch margin all around. That covers most of the printers I am aware of.

If you are sending a pdf out to be printed so you can distribute hard copies, check the FAQ of the printer site. The usually have templates for various programs with margins/bleeds etc. set up for you.

I use Word/Publisher/Pagemaker/Whatever to create my docs and print as pdfs, usually with a free pdf program. I don't recall any of them forcing a margin on me, although they may give a warning if I try to put something outside of the printable area of the default printer.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm also asking is how to design a PDF book that looks nice.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...SRpt_final.pdf

Is that something Microsoft Word can do when formatted nicely?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from the little graphics, yes, you could lay all that out with Word. Then save as a PDF.