SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to patent/copyright/tradermark an Internet Website Name?

I have an internet website. It is a great idea along the lines of a 99cent store. But technology not retail. Anyways i have not put it live because I am afraid someone will steal my idea and do it bigger and better.

How do I obtain a patent/copyright/trademark? Which do I need? Am I patenting the name/or idea. Also what is the cost associated with this. Finally do I incorporate the business now or can I do it after the patent if the business does indeed take off?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patents protect inventions and methods.

Copyright protects original, creative works, such as graphics and articles.

Trademarks protect names used to identify the source of products or services, such as brands.

Which you apply for depends on what you want to protect. If your idea is really along the lines of "a 99 cent store", then it would be too obvious for patent protection. An invention has to be novel, never before created and not an obvious extension of current ideas, for it to be granted patent protection.

Patents also take several years (and thousands of dollars) to obtain. By the time you have one, the web has changed so much it's not a good idea anymore.

The bottom line is, once you implement your idea, other people will too. You have the first mover advantage, so take advantage of it, erect barriers to competition, stay ahead of the competition, and differentiate yourself.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasr View Post
    I have an internet website. It is a great idea along the lines of a 99cent store. But technology not retail. Anyways i have not put it live because I am afraid someone will steal my idea and do it bigger and better.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not a unique idea, I actually know someone who built a 1 dollar software store and got a whole bunch of shareware authors to get their products listed for that price (as a sort of time limited offer), your essentially repeating something that already has been attempted and thought of a long time ago. Either way the real problem you are going to face is that most software / digital goods authors aren't willing to sell their goods so low which is what caused his site to end up going south. There are very few truly unique ideas on the web and with the amount of cloners out there, even if you could manage to get the exclusive rights to the idea (which yours wont work because it's neither unique or innovative) the amount of people who don't care about the law will just steal it anyway (and you'll spend your profits trying to get them to take it down). Why is it everytime someone posts an "idea" which they don't want stolen because they think it's going to be a massive success it ends up being something that won't work or has been done before? I never see genuinely innovative ideas ask these questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not a unique idea, I actually know someone who built a 1 dollar software store and got a whole bunch of shareware authors to get their products listed for that price (as a sort of time limited offer)
    my idea is not a 99 cents store....I used this as an example! But thanks for your 99cents Alex....get it!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasr View Post
    But thanks for your 99cents Alex
    Damned inflation...