User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

domain vs web address

hi,

just thinking about adding web hosting to my reseller account. Can anyone tell me the difference between an IP address and a domain. If they are different who actually owns the domain and who owns the IP address?

thanks

cass27

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An IP address is like your street address, and the domain is (more or less for the purposes of this explaination) an alias that redirects to the IP address.

So, if "Cass's House" is the domain, you'd think, "hey, casshouse.com actually goes to the address 107.1.6.8"

The IP address is the address of a networking device, computer, or server.

You can easily own a domain name, as long as you register it with a domain registrar and not through your webhost (as there have been many cases where the webhost steals the domain name from under a customer).

You can lease an IP address from your ISP or web host if you need a static address, but they ultimately own it. If your site does not have a static IP address, you'll see the IP address of the company's servers, which redirects the request to their internal network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You own domain name and IP address only if that one is dedicated and you are paying for it.
    You have reseller account as far as I understand and which control panel do you use for that I wonder?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

Thanks Forceflow - really useful information.

Serverpoint: Thanks, I use eXtend control panel on linux. I am with heart.com because it seems cheaper than fasthosts and also provides the hostpay application which enables you to proccess domain reg and hosting accounts.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    You own domain name and IP address only if that one is dedicated and you are paying for it.
    You won't own the IP address. You can't take it with you to another host if you decide to switch. That's why I mentioned the bit about only being able to lease the IP address

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not own the IP you lease IP from your web hosting company

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so lets get this straight:

The IP address is the area where you place your domain. You do not own this. You rent it or lease it from your host.

a domain is the space with a specific internet address that you do buy so long as it is dedicated, and you continue to renew it.

Yeah?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cass27 View Post
    a domain is the space with a specific internet address that you do buy so long as it is dedicated, and you continue to renew it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "dedicated"

Basically, the domain name can be any collection of numbers, letters, and certain symbols, followed by a TLD (.com, .org, .net, .info, .im, and so on).

You can register that with a domain registrar, such as godaddy. When you register, you can typically pay for 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and renew it after that time is up.

Then, in order to direct that domain name to your web host, you have to enter the IP addresses of your web host's DNS servers.

A DNS server is responsible for making the translation between a registered domain name and an IP address. So, when someone types in your domain name in their browser, they are directed to the server where your website lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ip adress thing is like the barcode of the website. the domain name is the websites name

A hostname is just an easy-to-remember name corresponding to an IP address. For example, www.tamos.com is the name for the IP address 209.68.11.237. A whois query for www.tamos.com and 209.68.11.237 returns exactly the same information.

Please note that multiple IP addresses may be assigned to a hostname: for instance, yahoo.com has 2 different IP addresses (206.190.60.37 and 68.180.206.184 respectively).

Domains are different from hostnames and IP addresses. A domain is a network name registered to someone. Domain queries provide information about the owner of a domain name. For example, if you want to purchase the cats.com domain name to make a web site about cats, you may want to contact the current owner of this domain to discuss the deal. To obtain the information about the domain name owner you need make a domain query.

is that enough explanation? Z

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanks people I've got it.

thanks