SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb odbc connect error

Hello Everybody...

I need some light here...

I am using Eclipse IDE with Python 2.5 and PyODBC2.5; need to read content from a
    Lotus Notes database, so run some basic query like - SELECT peronname FROM tablename.

'import pyodbc' is ok - python see it!

But when I try to run
    Code:
    conn = pyodbc.connect("DRIVER={Lotus NotesSQL Driver};SERVER=localhost;UID=John
    Meyer;PWD=yellowbird;DATABASE=mydb.nsf")
    it gives the error
    Code:
    pyodbc.Error: ('IM002', '[IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data
    source name not found and no default driver specified (0) (SQLDriverConnectW)')
    [01S00] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid connection string attribute (0)
    Any suggestions? All comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again.. I have done the same test using pyodbc, but to MySQL ODBC driver. It works fine for MySQL. The problem still remains to Lotus Notes. Any other hints please?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello Everybody,

We have managed to put NotesSQL to work through ODBC with python to access data from our Lotus Notes *.NSF files. It works as queries using the same type of queries syntax you would need normally use to get the data when working on MS-Access to grab the info inside the Lotus Notes *.nsf file. But also, on windows, you have to connect without using UID, Server, and PWD -- it worked just like that:

import pyodbc ...
    connection=pyodbc.connect("Driver={Lotus NotesSQL Driver (*.nsf)}; DATABASE=mydb.nsf", autocommit=True)

After I will see how to enable to also use the other parameters - UID, etc. It should need some additional twigs on WinXP enviroment.

But the important is, we got locally direct access to the data we needed -- using ODBC. Then we transferred the data from Lotus to our new MySQL db!

Hope this info may save time and help others too.

Yes... we love happy endings!