User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evolt browser archive

Hi everyone,

I've downloaded the internet explorer 6 browser archive from evolt.org. I ran the .exe file and it placed a whole lot of files within a folder on my desktop.

Does anyone know how to actually use the browser now. I mean which file actually opens IE6?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is one of the files iexplore.exe?

Can't install it myself because it doesn't work on 64-bit platforms.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply,

No I can't find that file. I clicked on the folder called Win32 and then downloaded the one in the folder called 6.0. There were other options like 6.0 sp1. I'm running Windows Vista via Parallels on a Mac, so not sure if this was the right one. Any suggestions?

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the MultipleIE sometimes. I think the 6.0 sp1 is the later version, but you are better check the time stamps of the files in those folders. It then is the IEXPLORER.EXE in that folder you should load.

There is also another alternative, IETester you can try, it renders all IE versions very true. There is also a DebugBar tool that hooks up with both your native IE and emulating IE versions.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IETester rendering of some of my sites is nowhere, nowhere near the real browsers it is purporting to emulate.

If you're going to test in multiple versions of IE, get Virtual PC and the free testing images from Microsoft.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If you're going to test in multiple versions of IE, get Virtual PC and the free testing images from Microsoft.
    I have Parallels which is the same as virtual pc I think. What are the free testing images from Microsoft that you mentioned?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    IETester rendering of some of my sites is nowhere, nowhere near the real browsers it is purporting to emulate.
    I use IEtester for ie6 - 8 hundreds of times a day for checking css rendering only and I never see any differences at all and I've been using it for a long time now. To be honest I can't ever remember seeing a difference at all.

I would be interested to see an example of something that doesn't render properly in case I'm missing something somewhere .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    I would be interested to see an example of something that doesn't render properly in case I'm missing something somewhere .

Link's gone missing, spacing is different, blue line missing... lots of differences between IETester and the real IE6 rendering. Don't ask me what specific CSS causes it (real IE6 really mucks up this page), but the differences are there.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Link's gone missing, spacing is different, blue line missing... lots of differences between IETester and the real IE6 rendering. Don't ask me what specific CSS causes it (real IE6 really mucks up this page), but the differences are there.
    Thanks for the screenshot Dan

Unfortunately the link you supplied is not accessible to me and I can't take a screenshot of what I see so that we could compare the differences and see whether its a problem with ietester or the way that it's installed on your system.

I will re-iterate that I check thousands of sites and have yet to see a difference on my system.

I'm wondering why you have a native IE6 installed anyway and I believe the most stable verion of ietester works with ie7 installed natively (in xp sp2).

Looking at your screenshot it actually looks like you are running Vista (transparent window on ietester) and I didn't think you could run ie6 natively there anyway.

I would still be interested if you can find a live site that I can check on my system because you are getting me worried that I may be missing something important .

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not exactly sure why some people have problems with IETester, I am with Paul entirely, I use IETester (and have regularly tested it against the results from a virtual machine) and have never encountered a single discrepancy between the two, my initial reaction would possibly be to say it's perhaps something else causing the problem (or perhaps an old version) because I really can't say I've seen any reason to doubt it's accuracy in the year or so I've been using it (on a daily basis again).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had numerous problems with IETesters on pages with scrollbars.

To the original poster - try Internet Explorer Collection, it rocks.